How do I get rid of springtails?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Bmoney93, Aug 14, 2018.

1. I’m new to growing and just planted a narcotic kush automatic. It’s only broken the surface but when I went to water it I noticed several tiny white bugs crawling around the damp soil. I’ve read up on springtails and every cure seems like it would kill such a young seedling. Any thoughts?

2. Maybe neem oil?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. That wouldn’t hurt a 3 day old seedling? I’m not familiar with it but i might try it. I’ve got several different strains in the same room and haven’t noticed any on the others. How much does neem oil run? Or should I just toss the infested soil and start another?

4. I understand just not wanting them around but in organic soil growing they are considered beneficial. If you really don't want them then drying out the soil and mosquito dunks can work but you have your seedlings to worry about.. I have been using the same soil for the past 4 grows , reamending with more worm shit and amendments between eveey grow and I've had them since the beginning. Here's a link that explains it better than I can lol

Springtails are harmless – Laidback Gardener

5. Hey man thanks. That really puts my mind at ease. Should I have flushed the soil and removed the roots from the last plant that didn’t make it? Is that why they are only in the one and none of the others?

6. I leave the roots in, break the soil off the rootball finely chop roots up with a shovel. When reusing soil breaking up and remixing when reamending properly is important. Can't say why they are only in 1 pot though.. unless you used something different in that specific pot than the others it's probably just starting and hasn't become very visible yet. Watch closely when watering, of they are in the soil they will come to the surface when wet