How do I figure out what part of my internet connection is dirty?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Phamas, Aug 14, 2012.

1. #1 Phamas, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    So my internet connection has deteriorated to not even being able to play a simple game like warcraft 3, a friend suggest that my connection was dirty

without spending money.. how do I figure out what part of my connection is bad.. besides checking the obvious loose wires bad ripped ones yada yada...

router or modem ?

or neither??

why my internet sucking outta nowhere!

i have optimum online.. last i checked one of the better isp's around

maybe my bandwidth is getting stolen ?

2. Cant you call optimum and have them check it out?

maybe its old router?

3. Have you scanned your PC for malware already?

If you think your bandwidth is hijacked, enter your router's configuration and check if any other device besides your computer is connected to your router.

4. Its most likely a problem with your computer, the router, or the ISP. I'd go in that order, first check out your computers, then try reseting or replacing your router (or connecting straight to the modem to see if thats the problem), and if none of that works call your internet service provider.

5. #5 Phamas, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    when you say problem with my computer.. exactly what kind of problem could it be.. ?

my router shows 2 devices

my 1 computer
    and 1 unknown

going to assume the unknown is the ipad.

called my ISP.. they said my connection has good signal...

so im gonna unplug the router for a bit and go straight connection to the computer

if its still fucked up.. they have to send someone to my house.. if its not .. time for a new router

my luck it wont be the router or my modem.. but something related to my motherboard having a heart attack like 2 months ago

6. It's most likely your router, as your connection is a set speed that your router then send out a signal.

7. [quote name='"Phamas"']

when you say problem with my computer.. exactly what kind of problem could it be.. ?

my router shows 2 devices

my 1 computer
    and 1 unknown

going to assume the unknown is the ipad.

called my ISP.. they said my connection has good signal...

so im gonna unplug the router for a bit and go straight connection to the computer

if its still fucked up.. they have to send someone to my house.. if its not .. time for a new router

my luck it wont be the router or my modem.. but something related to my motherboard having a heart attack like 2 months ago[/quote]

Malware, or general slowness. Most likely the router

8. yup.. running solo to the modem right now.. haven't had any issues...

is there anything I could possibly do for the router to fix the issue besides replacing it? if not ill just replace it

9. [quote name='"Phamas"']

yup.. running solo to the modem right now.. haven't had any issues...

is there anything I could possibly do for the router to fix the issue besides replacing it? if not ill just replace it[/quote]

What brand and model router? You may want to google 'router brand and model slow" and see what results you get. Of course replace the router brand and model with your routers brand and model

10. #10 geert, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    could be a Network cable

they have tools to check that, if a cable is damaged in some way it can leak "RF"

[​IMG]

11. Router probably just isn't configured right - also connections can't really get dirty (unless you consider dust dirt) but it's possible your ISP is throttling your internet connection. but if it's working fine connected straight to the modem then i would first try just getting a standard new router, nothing fancy.

12. If you do get a new one, I'd like to recommend the Buffalo brand. Their routers are cheap for how good they are, powerful antenna's, and come with DD-WRT (probably the best router firmware out there).

13. OP. you said when connected straight to the router you have no issues. What do you mean straight to the router? How are you connected when you do have the slowdown issue? Wifi? You might just want to try changing your radio channel. Sometimes my wifi will also slow down pretty bad. All I do is change the channel from 1-11 and see which one works best.

14. He said no issues connected straight to the modem.

15. got any links? maybe from newegg?

16. [quote name='"Phamas"']

yup.. running solo to the modem right now.. haven't had any issues...

is there anything I could possibly do for the router to fix the issue besides replacing it? if not ill just replace it[/quote]

Also, try updating the firmware. I had a linksys router that went to shit and i updated the firmware and it worked brand new.

17. #17 eatingthepair, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Edit

18. [quote name='"Phamas"']

got any links? maybe from newegg?[/quote]

Im on my phone but if you google buffalo routers they'll be like the first result, their routers blow other ones away and the fact they come with DD-WRT is like #1 reason

19. Buffalo sucks. In fact they went through a law suit a few years ago for copyright infringment on a rebranded other brand.

Best to stick with cisco/linksys for routers or modems.

OP reset your router, theres a little hole behind it, just stick a pen in there for 20 sec and then re run the config utility. Sound like your wifi is hacked.
    Set up WPA2 with AES encrypted password and you should be good to go.

20. Their reviews are actually decent, with the newer products especially. And oh patent laws big deal even Samsung breaks 'em every once in a while.