how do growing weed and tomatoes compare?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by spiritsmoke, Feb 10, 2012.

1. From all the info I have seen on the organic growing thread and general weed growing info it seems that the two are very similar, but how do they differ and what do we do to get the best tomatoes?

2. I originally started this thread as a mistake just wanting to ask the question to the general growing community. I couldn't seem to find out how to remove it so I left it hoping someone like Lumperdawgz2, Chunkdaddyo, or WeeDroid might come along and answer the question and elucidate on the subject. There have been 102 views but no comments so people are interested in the question. So maybe I will IM LD or Chunk and see if they will help us out.

SS

3. please post answer SS...its a good question!

I've read this and hoping for an answer too, but on my first grow so...

grown lots of tomatoes but and yes, so far seems they are pretty similar.

Interested in using plastic mulch to heat the soil...would like to know if mj plants like hot soil too.

4. It would make sense to me if they did like warmer soil...seedlings and clones do much better with a heat mat...

Wonder if a heat mat placed underneath each pot would be beneficial? I was just thinking of this yesterday actually..

5. In my own research I have also seen the use of a heating mat but,only on seedlings. I would think it would be helpful in the colder months to keep the roots of MJ warm but, it would depend on the temp in your closet or grow space. If your space is higher than that of the mat it seems that it would over heat the roots.

I have asked Chunkdaddyo who is an incredible organic grower to look in on this question and possibly help us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he has some time.
    SS

6. SS,

Growing tomatoes and cannabis are pretty close as far as the plant's needs are.

Tomatoes are from the family solanaceae which are also called the "Nightshades" and also include potatoes, peppers, eggplant and tobacco. They are a sub-tropical plant and need the soil to be at least 50 degrees before planting. Tomatoes can develop a disease if there is not enough calcium in the soil. They do best at temps from 60-85 degrees.

Most people will tell you that if you can grow tomatoes, you can grow cannabis and I find that to be true. Cannabis is also a sub tropical plant and does best when soil temps are 50 and above. Indica dominant plants can sustain cooler temps but still flourish when its warmer.

I think you can grow your cannabis like you tomatoes and vice versa. Hope this helps.

chunk

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Storm Crow, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
    Tomato clones root WAY easier than cannabis! I rarely have a tomato clone fail, even though I just stick them in a jar of plain water! My first "window sill" cherry tomatoes are almost ripe! I baby a mother tomato plant through the winter and take clones in January.

Cannabis likes a bit of epsom salt in the soil.

Both love humus-rich soil and warm temperatures- they are a lot alike.

Now I want you to think of the last time you were at the supermarket. :rolleyes: How much was a gram of tomatoes? Or were they selling tomatoes by the ounce? :confused:

That was a trick question... you buy tomatoes by the pound, of course, but I think I am going to compare cannabis and tomatoes, so I wanted you to think about that!

Growing them both takes pretty much the same level of fertilizers and climate. :)

Outdoors, cannabis has very few pests. Tomatoes need more pesticides - they look yummy to bugs, too!

Both are labor-intensive to harvest. Tomatoes need more careful handling because they can bruise and that lowers their value.

But since cannabis is a dried product, let's dry our tomatoes! :) Whole cannabis plants can be hung and dried with little fuss. Drying tomatoes takes heated air, fans, drying sheds, screening to keep insects out.... :cool:

Logically, cannabis should be cheaper per pound than dried tomatoes! :eek:

OK, I just went over and grabbed the first dried tomato site I found! I figured organic would cost more, so I looked at those.

Organic Sun-dried Tomatoes 8.5 oz. glass jar................$7.99

So roughly $15 a pound! When was the last time you paid even $150 a pound for cannabis, much less $15? :eek:

The price of cannabis is kept artificially high by prohibition! :mad:

Become an activist and let's get those prices down closer to where they should be! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wow!!
    Thank you so much Chunk and Storm Crow. You definatley answered my question!!

9. Storm Crow
    I didn't know you could clone a tomatoe since most of the package seed are hybrids. Do you take the clones the same way you do for MJ? You have opened up a new avenue in gardening tomatoes for me.

10. i HAVE 2 5'X5' WINDOWS IN MY LIVING ROOM WHERE I COULD KEEP TOMATOES GOING YEAR ROUND AS ON IS EAST FACING AND THE OTHER IS SOUTH FACING. THIS IS SO EXCITING! IMAGINE VINE RIPE TOMATOES ALL YEAR. NO MORE CARDBOARD CHILEAN ORBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SS

11. Chuck.

No thanks I like the high prices uahaha

12. #12 spiritsmoke, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
    Well everyone, it looks like I won't be getting my MMJ card very soon so i I will be able to anwer this question in more detail. I will be growing heirloom tomatoes with cannabis growing techniques. In Downgirls grow journal http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/826990-downgirls-tent-grow-potluck-mix.htmll she gets the adivce to practice on her tomato plants first. So in about 2 weeks or so I will be getting every thing I need to start my practice grow. I will be growing Big rainbow Heirloom Seeds and Plants, Heirloom Tomatoes - Burpee.com Black Krim,yellow Pear and Rutgers or another red globe shaped heirloom Heirloom Tomato Seeds and Plants - Brandywine, Vegetable Heirloom Seeds at Burpee.com I will be buying the last three locally since I already have the Big Rainbow seed. More info about the grow when I start. I hope you all will be interested in following this. On the tomato links you have to scroll down to see the Yellow Pear,Black Krim and Rutgers.

spiritsmoke

13. #13 DaDankSkunk, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
    Well, tomatoes don't really seem to attract aphids and spidermites as much as other plants, like marijuana, do. They're also like pepper plants, they hate tobacco and can get infected easily. If you plant them outside, you have to deal with hornworms. They're also a vine, so their growth may require a trellis, cage, stick, string, etc to hold them up straight. Tomatoes are also pruned, usually suckers but sometimes the leaves too. You have to pollinate for fruit as well. Those are the main differences I can think of so far.

Their similarities run in their temperature, watering, growth rate, etc. I believe their nutrient uptake is also similar in the vegetative and growing periods. However, some tomatoes, called determinants(similar to autoflower), don't require a 12/12 photoperiod to flower.

In other words, you can grow a marijuana and tomato plant together in the same cab and they'd both do great if things were right. Their just raised with different techniques.

14. DaDankSkunk

I don't know what kind of tomatoes you grow but I have found that all MY tomatoes are self pollinating. I use an electric toothbrush to vibrate the plants in the mornings to help with fruit set but, that isn't pollinating.

15. When you use the the vibrating toothbrush, you are indeed assisting the plant in pollinating, so I guess you could say you are helping it to set fruit.

Here is an interesting tid bit on fertilizing tomatoes. Who knew that housecleaning had another up side.

Feeding Tomato Plants Video

16. yeah i use an electric toothbrush too for pollination. I'm not sure if a tomato would pollinate itself without any sort of stimuli. I just know that marijuana doesn't need bees to survive and reproduce.

17. I have done some internet research that says almost all tomato plant/ varieties ARE self pollinating or as they call it self fertile, with the exception of a few of the oldest heirloom strains. The toothbrush technique is just to insure and aid the fertilization.

Also tomatoes are grown hydroponically they use fans ( like we do for cannabis) to help with the fertilization and strengthening the plants. They also use an electric toothbrush type wand to vibrate the entire plant to aid in fertilization.

SS

18. Hi guys Always Sandy here.. I read all your comments about this post, lots of great information thank you so much from everyone:) but I don't see my question here so I'm going to ask it.. you know how when you go to plant your tomatoes you pull off those lower leaves and plant it down into the soil far enough to where new Roots will set where you picked off the leaves.. would cannabis be the same? Or should I just continue to plant it with the top of the root ball level with the soil?
    With the information I read from someone on this post, cloning cannabis is harder to do than tomato plants.. I just had an aha moment.. lol. I'm thinking I should just continue to plant my cannabis in the ground with the top of the root ball level with the soil:) some pinching.. and I should be good for starters anyway!
    If you could so kindy please add to this subject. Thank you, Sandy

19. started by spiritsmoke, Feb 10, 2012. out of date?