how did you decide to study/do what you do?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Bbiscuit, May 4, 2013.

1. I'm a senior in high school and going to college but I haven't chosen a major. I wanted to go into biology like half my life but now I don't think I want to do that for the rest of my life.

I just have so many interests and I'm having a hard time pinpointing which I'm most passionate for. I'm considering genetica, journalism, forensic psychology, criminology, advertising, marketing...and for some reason I'm really interested in film but I have no special talents for that, though I do write a bit.

I just have no idea how to figure out where my passions lie...

So what do you do and how did you choose it?

2. a lot of the degrees you are talking about are quite specialized. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but maybe go for something a bit more general so you can specialize after you graduate and you know what the job markets are for those careers
    So maybe a biology degree if you want to go the geneticist/life scientist route
    English/History for the journalism route
    Business for the advertising/marketing

That said if you find a course you seem really into then just choose that because your motivation and therefore grades will be better

Good Luck choosing

3. I'm about to turn 25 and still have no idea, haha.

Don't declare a major at first. Knock out some of your gen eds, and while you're doing that, talk to other students, talk to professors, join clubs on campus, and figure out what you want to study.

4. When I got to college, I went to play soccer on the team - academics had zero priority to me so I just listened to what my parents suggested would pay and that was Engineering. After I got done with general education and got into the major courses I discovered I had no interest in the field. So I then switched to something else - Criminal Justice as I at least found the subject interesting. After a year as a CJ major I realized the career options weren't ideal or suitable for me and then looked at what other majors would my units count for and I might find interesting. That's when I settled on Economics as my major and I already had enough units in Criminal Justice to have already completed a minor. Only got 4 classes left for my degree!

5. I went with mechanical engineering. Pays decent and is easy.

Thinking about ditching it for a while and just working in the trades. Pays way more and your not some corporate wanker. The few times I have to go to our office it's just like the movie office space haha.

6. Dude me too. I'm 25 in a couple weeks and I've worked several jobs. And I know I have many to come. I didn't go to university for that exact reason. I just love doing different things.

I've been a nanny, worked in retail, swim instructor, barrista, retirement home, did short courses a few times, and now I work in admin (easy life, Monday - Friday, no drug testing, it's sweet. But I know next year I will want to do something different.

op, don't be upset if you choose your desired path then realise it's not for you. You'll figure it out one day. You're still young... I still feel soo young.

7. totally random. lol.

8. I'm majoring in Computer Science. Only a couple more classes until I finish my Associates. I chose CS because I like solving problems and working with computers. The pay isn't bad either.

9. Im in the same year at school as you (i live in england). I don't know exactly how it works in the US but i just looked a course statistics and chose one with a high employment rate that looked interesting to me. I ended up applying for a vocational course within a university that has a 94% employment rate and high starting salary.

10. I would love to do something like that. Actually i want to travel when I'm done HS and don't want to go straight into college. Unforchantly if i choose to travel i feel as if I'm going to be behind in life. I can't imagine being 25 Im 18 now and it's depressing thinking my teenage years are done, over. I actually remember when i was 9 or 10 and i couldnt even imagine being where i am now and to think it flew by in the blink of an eye. I should stop now or else I'll keep on rambling on and depressing myself more

11. graphic design because i have a natural talent for art. i like photo manipulation and things of that nature. however it's also practically one of the few art-related fields where you can actually get a god damn job in this economy, aside from a teacher

you can't really get a surefire job doing anything now unless you're in marketing supporting asshole corporate motherfuckers

12. I'm kinda having those same troubles myself. All I know is I love cars I have a passion for them. I would love to design cars but I am a terrible artist, I can barely draw stick people. Working as a mechanic doesn't really appeal to me as I feel restricted if I do that. So I was thinking about trying to get into systems testing, trying to make vehicles more efficient, or maybe even open up my own shop somewhere because the thought of working for some other jackass just disgusts me. Maybe I will invent the first commercial hover craft and revolutionize the personal transportation industry.

13. I'm a cabinetmaker, and chose to be so because I love working with my hands, working with wood, and partially because it runs in the family.