How did they grow so much roots??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mat_Baws, Jun 29, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the second picture the plants aren't very big at all. I left home for a week and got my father in law to water the plants for me, came back to no new growth at all. The plants are just over 3 weeks from seed now. They've been transplanted now though.

How the f did they grow so much roots? They're tiny plants!!?

2nd grow so take it easy on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Well, lots of roots are a good thing. By the yellowing of your leaves you probably need more nitrogen. Droopy leaves indicates overwatering. Your dad probably overwatered with pure water. The plants had hardly any nutrients so the roots went looking for food deeper and the plant robbed some nitro from the lower leaves to keep growing. Could be a ph issue keeping the plant from processing enough. Is your feed water ph'd? What is it? Have you ph'd the soil in the pots?

3. Thanks for your reply, I know roots are a good thing I thought this was just a bit extreme!

Yeah he was actually watering from the wrong pot I have for water (one water one nutes) DERP. I've ph'ed the new coco to 5.8 with 25% nutes. Also I assumed the drooping was due to under watering as them pots were bone dry & the leaves were going kinda dry/crispy? All water is Ph'ed down to 5.8 when watering (the PH could have risen in the water tank over the course of the week?) My father inlaw knows nothing about phing so I thought Id just leave that bit out!

Quick question; Do you think the plants will bounce back fine?

Thanks again for the reply:)

4. Thanks for your reply, I know roots are a good thing I thought this was just a bit extreme!

Yeah he was actually watering from the wrong pot I have for water (one water one nutes) DERP. I've ph'ed the new coco to 5.8 with 25% nutes. Also I assumed the drooping was due to under watering as them pots were bone dry & the leaves were going kinda dry/crispy? All water is Ph'ed down to 5.8 when watering (the PH could have risen in the water tank over the course of the week?) My father inlaw knows nothing about phing so I thought Id just leave that bit out!

Quick question; Do you think the plants will bounce back fine?

Thanks again for the reply:)

5. ur good buddy, they just look hungry.

the pH levels are right around where they should be. I grow in coco, and personally I don't even bother pHing when I am just giving water, but I also feed every cycle unless I am specifically flushing.

your plants just need food

6. Sweet man, I do ph tap water just to make sure everything's running smooth. Think it'd be a good idea to give them 50% nutes (canna A&B) for one feeding to kickstart them again? Or does it not work like that.

FORGOT TO MENTION: Im pretty sure I bought phenos, not autoflowers..and all plants are showing female hairs, will root bounded plants be forced to flower?

7. Sweet man, I do ph tap water just to make sure everything's running smooth. Think it'd be a good idea to give them 50% nutes (canna A&B) for one feeding to kickstart them again? Or does it not work like that.

FORGOT TO MENTION: Im pretty sure I bought phenos, not autoflowers..and all plants are showing female hairs, will root bounded plants be forced to flower?

EDIT: I have no idea why its posting my replies multiple times

8. 50% nutes should be fine, I typically start at 1/4th when the baby round leaves start dying off, then slowly bump it up to 75% to the end of veg.

If you do notice any burns or anything just bring it back down, but they are showing pretty severe N deficiency so I expect it should be fine to use 50% strength going forward, slowly increasing as they grow larger.

if you have a PPM or EC meter it would be good to take note of the reading you get at 50% so if you need to increase or decrease going forward you have something to work by.

When I'm in flower I usually work up to 100% strength, I don't use canna line nutes though I use general hydroponic's flora nova series. should have the same results though in terms of strength.

9. nah that shouldn't have anything to do with it. If they are auto flowers they will start to flower on their own by a certain age regardless, and if they are photoperiod they will start to show pre flowers as soon as they are old enough/big enough to be able to start budding, but won't actually start budding full on until you flip the lights to 12/12.

10. Wicked man I'll give them 50% on the next watering. I do have an EC meter, do you mean it's just easier to take note of ppm rather than the percentage of nutes used? (Haven't really got into PPM as I read somewhere it's not as important for soil grows?). I do recall having nute burn during flowering with AF Lemon haze last run at 100% so I probably won't go up that high again with Canna, Ill just bump it up as I can.

Thankyou so much for your info man, everyday i'm learning!

11. Yeah either works fine but if for example you are feeding at 300 ppm every time and its fine, and you try to bump to 400 and it burns, you can work down from there. Also it will help to find that point where no matter the individual strength of the nutrients you are adding, if you add enough things (even pH up or down) it will get too high and have sodium burn. I generally don't go over like 800 unless it's very late flowering and only certain strains.

Also that's true about ppm and soil grows, but if i understand correctly you are growing with coco coir, and that is a soilless medium, which means that you should be treating it as hydroponics. Everything the plant gets comes from you, as the medium is inert by itself. So use hydroponic nutrients and pH for hydroponics (which you are doing, 5.5-5.6 is where I start off with in veg, then slowly bump it up to a max of 5.8-5.9 in flowering).

12. Right I get you that makes things a whole lot easier, on my first grow a few times I ph'ed down too much and had to ph back up, which like you say could of put the ppm too high especially with 100% strength nutes!

Ahh yeah I am growing in coco coir. Say if the ppm is too high, would I be able to add more water & ph down again or would it just be giving me more ppm overall? Also quick question, do you ph your run-off? I haven't been.

13. if you add more water it will lower the ppm. ppm just measures parts per million to see how concentrated the water is.

it's recommended to pH your run off but I usually don't.