How deep to plant seed in 3 gal

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BudDrJayy, Oct 22, 2018.

1. going to try and plant autoflower seed right into 3 gallon bucket since people say transplanting autoflowers is a no no, how deep should i plant seed and how should i go about watering

2. Make sure your soil is properly saturated so it won't sink when you water.

Plant the seed 1cm down and press firmly to flatten but not compress.

It doesn't matter. Up, down, or sideways a good seed will sprout if given the proper conditions... no need to overthink it.

As far as watering goes that's something you should read a good guide on and you're gonna have to know how to feed it unless you're growing organic

3. Also I suggest 5 gal unless you're growing less than 50-60cm strains... good to let the roots stretch out..

4. I disagree. If done properly, transplanting will not slow down growth at all. I start in solo cups for two weeks, then transplant and the plants don't skip a beat. Growth will be faster as well if planted in smaller containers because it's easier to control the moisture level in the soil.
    First pic is at two weeks from sprout and the second pic is at three weeks from sprout after transplant, for your comparison. Good luck.
    2 weeks auto.JPG 3 weeks auto.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. I would start it in the same container!!! As far as watering the soil goes, just a little circle around the seedling once dry upto 1st knuckle - It really doesn't need hardly anything heavy until she gets a little bigger!
    I would never repot an Auto, although people do!

7. #8 Talkative, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Been growing autos a long time. Former no transplant advocate. Recent start in small container convert. Answer to question is God gave man a first knuckle to know how deep to plant seeds. Reason for transplanting is to save fresh medium for flowering. Vegging plants often need a constant supply of high N nutes and medium can get gunked up if not freshened or flushed. Transplanting allows for mistake over fertilizing in veg and all sins are forgiven at 28 days when I transplant into virgin medium. I highly recommend the 1 liter Air-pot for seed starting. Fill with favorite seed starting mix (another reason for transplanting, mix is designed for germination not long term growth) and simply disassemble to transplant. I like the 1 liter Air-pot because I can soak it and never have to risk disturbing seeds from top water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here's a link to mephistos grow guide ( one of if not the best auto breeder around ) you can definately transplant autos, they do regularly.. you just need to do in it proper timing and make sure you dont damage any roots or the taproot especially. PDF.js viewer

As far as the argument of is transplant better than just planting into the final pot? The answer is a definat yes. I'll let you read this link as an explaination.. How Do I Transplant Marijuana for Faster Growth? | Grow Weed Easy

• Like Like x 1
  9. As a new grower I would suggest practising transplanting on a bag seed or something if you plan on transplanting autos because you really need to be gentle.. if the rootball/ soil breaks apart that could be your plant gone right there

10. Very interesting. Everyone growing or thinking about growing autos should read this instead of listening to people that think they know what they're talking about. As you mentioned - Mephisto is one of the top breeders of autos and they not only advocate starting in smaller containers, but they also state that it's a misconception that autos are easier for beginners. Something I've been preaching for years and I always get shot down by the auto growers. Can't argue when it's straight from the best auto breeder. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. hmmm, I'll agree if you can't grow a photo an auto isn't going to be any easier. But an auto is no more complex than a photo and any beginner can plant an auto seed, put it under 24 hours of decent light and get stoned.

12. Agreed. But that's not the point. The point that Mephisto and myself make is that beginners are not experienced and will most likely make mistakes which will adversely affect their yield more so with autos than photos. I can successfully grow autos because I know what I'm doing, but that wasn't true when I was a beginner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mick's got it.. it's not much different, sure.. BUT if you're a beginner and dont know how to avoid mistakes then that opinion is wrong.. photos can bounce back from almost anything.. autos can still bounce back sure.. given its good genetics but it will definately take away from yields in the long run because you cant keep it in veg to recover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bounce back from what? Peace, I will agree it takes quite a bit of knowing to grow an auto to a comparable yield of a photo, but this idea that they are somehow less vigorous is nonsense. If anything Ruderalis can take way more abuse than cannabis. 28 days and that auto is flowering if it is still alive and nothing you did to it will stop it from getting you stoned. You need spider mites to accomplish total sobriety, and they don't distinguish between auto and photo. Oh well, forgive me, I'm an auto evangelist. Just trying to work off all the bad karma I picked up badmouthing autos as beginner plants when they first came out.

15. Gotta say I'm 100% with mick on this.
    I transplant my autos twice. Done a couple that I put straight into final pot. Got one on just now actually and it's tiny compared to what it would've been if I'd done my usual and transplanted it on day 7 then again day 14-17.
    My profile pics an auto that was transplanted twice, topped, lst'd, very heavily defolled at least once a week from day 21.
    Cut about 30 colas off her too cos was getting a bit of a cluster fuck.
    Every myth about autos I've ever heard is exactly that.
    You can do anything to an auto you can do to a photo, you've just gotta know the right times to do it and be a bit more savvy.
    Only thing I haven't tried is mainline, seems pointless on an auto to me but I have seen it done on here quite recently. 4 oz sounds familiar. Which is fairly alright for an auto.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yea i been transplanting and they are looking fine since we talked!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I see no other way than mainline. IDK, I'm starting a seed any day now in a 1 gallon fabric, going to grow it untouched. I have same strain growing now 8 top mainline 5 gallon smartpot. 28 days you should have 8 tops. All nice even and most important for me, short. The new experiment is to determine a few things about untouched and tiny 1 gallon pot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Was it you that grew the big mainline auto a couple months back?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app