How deep do you blades really think?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Insurgency, Sep 1, 2010.

1. #121 Insurgency, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
    The problem is, the average individual is not self sufficient, hence the need for the creation of the polis. Again, you describe the spirit as self confidence. If someone kills you, they have certainly brought you down, no matter what. This is why one obeys the laws that allow for their protection.

And my argument is that the soul and spirit, the things that make us "us", are nothing more than products of the brain.

Can you explain what you consider natural? For the sake of discussion please :)

2. Hey folks, I'm new here and am enjoying reading this thread... very interesting. Although its going in so many different directions its hard to know what to respond to really. I guess the most recent topic is justice. I did my graduate research on that topic but I'm trying to figure out how to explain it on a weed forum. :smoke:

One thing I can say is that I'm utterly convinced that justice is deconstruction and that its necessary to think of it in this way. Not necessary as in a mandate but necessary as in that's how it is, though we don't always realize it. Deconstruction is a terribly misunderstood word, but it sounds like some of you might know it. I'll try to flesh it out later if anyone is interested.

In short, it means that justice is not any particular law or instance of justice, because in a particular law there are bound to be unjust consequences since laws are always agreements between various consequences. This sounds simply enough, but it has important consequences for how we go about creating justice (deconstruction), and its really the root cause of the great instances of injustice in society.

Also, someone mentioned that freedom is related to justice. This is true, and again its not so in the sense of a mandate (e.g., for there to be justice we must create freedom) so much as in the sense of their ontological roots. Justice is freedom, but since absolute freedom is impossible in the particular so is justice. The particular must always move to something else, and how we deal with this movement is the most important.

I can flesh out these ideas more if you wish, but I had to get my bearings first. :)

3. These are my thoughts as well.

4. I guess we each have our perspective, I believe the spirit is more than a product of the brain, and that when you die, your spirit passes through aether and goes to heaven.

But anyways, I believe anything not tampered by man or any other man-like being is considered natural. The Universe would be considered natural. The dimensions would be considered natural. All things that are in our perception, which make up our reality is natural. And of course the earth, and everything within and without is considered natural.

5. How would you ever know this would happen? I mean once your spirit leaves the body, it no longer has the organs that allow us to experience.

6. On the whole justice note, i suggest you guys read The Republic. Not only is it the foundation of philosophy, but the debate Socrates has throughout the 500+ pages focuses on the exact question, what is justice.

7. No offense, but the Republic is an idealistic view.

8. #128 teh_biscuit, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
    The nature of things is fundamental perpetual silence, open and clear, without limits or boundaries. All things are fundamentally empty; there is nothing to stick to. Objects are like floating clouds, certain to disperse.

So you're assuming that 'experience' are only bound by our organs?

9. None taken. I never posted my thoughts on the literature, just mentioned that it is a great read and an interesting way of thinking about the definition of justice. Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt, idealistic or not.

10. How would you remember them or know they were happening if they weren't?

11. The spirit is transferred to an angelic body, from earth to heaven. The angelic body, is one of the purest forms of energy and matter, and can only exist in another realm. That's why it depends on your perspective, going any further would be me, answering questions, and you not really believing the answers. And a continuous insensible conversation on, what is. Let's just agree to disagree.

12. Perception and cognition involve objects, and only exist in relation to things. The spiritual subtlety is inconceivable; it is not relative.

13. Why does the laws and the government have to be involved to decide what justice is? I think it's a lot deeper then at such a large scale. For each and every individual they act upon what they believe is just. They learn what just is through education, through examples, and through their own experiences. I believe as we get older and older we develop what each individual believes is just for themselves and learns to live their life accordingly. What I believe is just does follow the laws because they are very basic humane things (e.g don't kill, don't steal ect.) But i don't always follow them because they are in conflict with what i believe is just. The laws we have shouldn't dictate what I, as an individual personally believes is just. Because I believe this is true, by learning and through experiences, how can there be a set justice. As with a lot of things, justice is purely subject.

14. Thought I should finally answer my own question a little more in depth :D

This is a short paper I had to write for a class.

All humans cannot be rational. That fantasy of an idea has no evidence of ever existing, nor does it have any signs of happening in the future. Only rational human beings can overcome estrangement with reason. To prove this, I will discuss foundational ideas that make up a rational human being. We then must debate whether or not estrangement is avoidable or not. I also believe that estrangement is just part of our primitive instincts, and being rational is a constant learning process. Rather than providing two sides to this argument, I will use different philosophical thinker's ideas, and mold attempt to mold them into one form. I believe human beings cannot overcome estrangement with reason without the assembly of man.

To start, I strongly believe human beings individually cannot overcome estrangement. However, I believe the more and more people who come together, the ability to overcome estrangement increases. Aristotle teaches us in his Politics book, that man is a political animal, as well as a social animal. This addresses that we strive to fit in, and interact with the people around us. It also tells us that we as humans strive for conflict, because we are political animals. The fact that we live in society brings up the conflict of estrangement, and because the issue of personal rights exists, we are all estranged.

The foundation of my argument is whether humans think or act on conflicting matters. Do you think before you act or act before you think things through? It would seem that the ones who think would have the greater knowledge because revenge, anger, and superiority are extremely hard to overcome. Let's create a scenario. Have you been so provoked, so enraged that you do something you would normally never do? Perhaps you hit someone for insulting someone dear to you. You experience the protection, even the anger when you react. This is your primitive instinct, and they are in every one of us. They are the same instincts animals use every second of their lives. They act on protection, hunger, and more importantly dominance. We can think of a pride of lions in this case. Lions will actually fight other lions to protect their own prides (which are groups made up of around 2-7). They will also attack other lions to eat first and also to protect their territory. Don't these traits look familiar to some of ours? Perhaps all animals, including mammals (but more importantly us), are control by these instincts.

If we are controlled by our primitive instincts, is it possible for us to be reasonable? I believe every human has the ability to reason, but whether they use it or not is up to them. Being reasonable requires obtaining knowledge, and never stopping when you think you know everything. Plato said, “Knowledge is virtue and virtue is knowledge.” He also says virtue is our soul; it makes us man. The soul naturally seeks well, because it is human nature to wonder what is good and evil. So we know how reason is knowledge, knowledge is virtue. Virtue makes us man.

What does man do? It makes up society. Without man, our knowledge, our souls, our reasoning; we are left with a primitive society controlled by instincts. When we are primitive, we ignore the whole and focus on ourselves. To make up a society, we must think unity rather than parts. We must have the ability to think rationally rather than focus on desires. We must get passed estrangement. So can a rational human being surpass estrangement with reason? We can now look at the question as; Can a rational human being surpass primitive instincts by obtaining knowledge, which is the path to become man?

Now we must define a rational human being. Let's start broad by saying a rational human being weighs all possible outcomes of certain events, and chooses the one that's best for the unity. He will not choose a desirable outcome, because then he is no longer rational. It is safe to say being a rational human being is very difficult. Let's look at the word best now. What is best, does it change for every situation? I believe what is best is anything that points towards obtaining knowledge. The more we know, the more we become man. Learning new things allows us to present more possible outcomes. So, again lets restate the question in a more in depth way. Can a man, who has obtained vast amounts of knowledge, overcome primitive instincts with his obtained knowledge, which is the path to become man?

My answer is potentially yes, in actuality no. It is potentially yes because our ideas can be perfect. Plato says our ideas are blocked by this physical world. Everyone could think of the possible utopian paradise, but when it boils down to it, men still have their primitive instincts. Realistically however, I believe Aristotle hits the nail on the hammer when he says that true human essence can be seen by the assembly of men. (We see this in Aristotle's Politics) Human beings as a unity can work together, to overcome estrangement. This does bring up a problem, which is that it assumes human nature must have assemblage in order to fully understand the true meaning of essence. However, we can address this issue. No one man is self sufficient, we see Plato and Aristotle both agree. Since we cannot rely on ourselves individually for survival, it is human nature to come together to provide these basic survival needs. When we come together we form society, with more and more demands needed to be met. We therefore strive for assemblage; it is human nature to live with others, and to be part of the system.

It is also impossible to not have disagreements with others because different backgrounds, beliefs, and parts of the world have different ideas. If someone has a different view of running society, you are not going to agree with him or her. You have your own ideas, and they could be right. When we have differences, we have conflicts. If we have conflicts we have arguing, even fighting. If we have fighting, then we as human beings are not being rational. Tinder brings up an important issue with beliefs. He says “our overriding duty being to obey the commands of God.” (page 33) I do not wish to discuss too deeply, but this raises the question of whether or not human beings need the sense of God to behave morally.

Tinder also discusses Edmund Burke's theory, which I personally also agree with. Burke's idea is that “established customs and traditions reflected human nature far more accurately than did the abstract conclusions of reason.” I completely agree, and we can even reflect this on today's society. Look at it on a small scale. Many of our young adults today are shape by their surroundings growing up. When individuals fail to succeed early in lives, much of the blame goes on the household growing up. Ones problems are assumed related to the problems of a disfunctional home. If a young adult was abused at home, we will possibly see that individual have outbreaks of violence. Point being, each individual can act different according to his or her influenced teachings beliefs of the growing up surroundings.

We must also bring into discussion Hobbes' social contract. He states that each individual is concerned only by personal safety, but using reason shows that in order to obtain personal safety, one must obey the laws of the government. Like Plato, Hobbes seems very idealistic with this statement. Although I personally agree with this theory, I also believe that not everyone follows this method. One can think rationality that if an individual is working for the better of society but is not receiving any benefits, that individual will not be a fan of the system. We are then left with conflict, or estrangement.

Only rational human beings can overcome estrangement with reason. Rationality takes education and the obtainment of knowledge. It allows us to create more possibilities for every outcome, and we can present these outcomes subjectively in front of us to decide. We must also take into consideration the basic survival instincts of all animals. All animals have embedded in their DNA the traits for certain instincts. Dominance for example, is one that is a hard trait to overcome. We are influenced by these traits, whether we like it or not. Since all human beings are not capable of overcoming these instincts with reason, we must unite as one assembly. Even though Burke believes established customs and traditions reflected human nature, this avoids the point of certain individuals overcoming the already established tradition and custom, and creates their own new path. We can see this in the sprayers of religion. I would like to end this paper with a quote, which will wrap this up nicely. Aristotle said, “What is a friend? It is one soul, dwelling in two bodies.”

-fatbluntsyo

15. Wow this is suppose to be a discussion forum not a post your essay forum. I would like to see where this goes through discussion which I think is one of the best ways to learn from others and I think you killed it with that post. What am I suppose to say to that? Do you want us to comment on it like your teacher did and say Hey nice essay I think this and that about it? :confused: I feel like you didn't really think about the questions asked to you and instead said read this and see if that helps.

16. #136 ete23, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
    love + hate, are not random, but choices we make
    ultimate choices of sort, in the big picture i mean

17. #137 Insurgency, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010

It refers to the OP, and yes, it answers it. If you are having trouble pulling out what I was saying, then you do not understand my argument. Questions like this can not be answered simply as yes or no, and require a much more in depth look at all influencing factors. I posted the paper so you can read, understand my argument, and then ask questions from there.

if you need help, my argument is that we are animals still driven on animal instincts, which results in our estrangment. We only live in society to provide for basic survival needs, but in return, we need sets of rules to control us.

fby

18. i seen deep, im kind of sort impressed, ya. i mean, more impressed of what it could be

19. I'm not saying you didn't answer it, I just don't think that's an effective method of sharing your ideas in a discussion based setting. And since I want to talk about this and that I am a student of this stuff, I find it funny that you want to give me "help" understanding it. Almost like your talking down to me when that is not necessary at all and I hope you understand that.

As basic humans why do we need sets of rules to control us? And to think of humans as animals is very interesting. I believe that every human is greedy and selfish trying to better the self but I don't really think that means we can compare us to animals. As we technically are animals, I don't think we should consider ourself as animals. How would you consider us like animals? (see this is the direction I want this to go. Answer/comment on what others said, then ask questions to fully understand the others view. This is the best way for philosophical discussion and I think the best method for me to learn and understand what you guys are thinking. A lot of this for me at least is wanting to learn what others think and see how that compares to my own views so I can further shape my own views.)

20. im as shallow as they get...