How deep do you blades really think?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Insurgency, Sep 1, 2010.

1. New question! Exciting I know :eek:

Are human beings equal in essence?

could we sticky this thread? I will be posting many questions in it to get some people's mind going. Once again, if you have studied the questions I ask, please add your thoughts so others may learn!

2. Duh ;p

oh i'm sorry you wanted something a little less elementary. or less to the point, idk.

Damn, i gotta remember to keep my dumb mouth shut :smoking:

But for real, we are all equal.

3. Lol, do not take what I said earlier personal. I am just trying to open some minds here!! :yay:

Now, why do you say we are equal in essence? I agree with you, I am just asking you to explain a bit more, because "we are all equal" just doesn't answer it well enough:D

4. because we all have the same exact same potentials and capabilities (with few exceptions)

the human brain was basically hardwired to adapt to any task. Like, some people say "I can't play guitar" (i use to be one of them ;p thought i was "drum guy") but if they had the understanding that i am absolutely no different from you in essence, they'd snap out of that mindset in a second and learn how to play a guitar, cause it ain't that hard if you actually wanna seek the knowledge

We are all the same in essence, with the same potentials and capabilities, but our experiences separate us.

5. I think we must be careful when we say potentials and capabilities for things like playing the guitar. Agreed, those are talents/skills that we can learn with practice. But how about playing a sport? Physical differences stop us from being equal. How about running a government? What if your soul or essence seeks injustice as a profit and I dont. Are we still equal?

6. Damn that one about a politician using the government to make a profit, and how we might be equal, kinda blew my mind (we need a smiley for that) cause in a way there evil, but then what if they were in that mind set, as if they didn't know better cause everything was handed to em'? :eek:

7. Well, you seem like a technical kind of guy so....define essence before I answer :)

8. i am not going to rip apart your answer lol if i feel like you could go deeper than ill ask a few questions for you to wonder. i believe in the questioning of socrates, and for every thing defined, ask questions to see if it can be disproven or not.

9. Sorry but for me to give a proper answer to your question I would need to know your definition, and since you haven't defined the word how can you ask me questions to see if my logic can be disproven?

10. Im sorry ive only read the first page..

Do these 30 people KNOW that they've been chosen? This could have several different outcomes...

If they know, that out of everyone, THEY were chosen, I would like to think that they are the kind of people who would acknowledge they are representing more then themselves, and that would encourage them to work together?

Then again, theres 2 pages I havent read here, maybe this convo's going a different way lol

11. like a 7 or 8

12. Sorry i will answer this as soon as possible, i have a paper due in a hour.

School before Grasscity :D

13. there's no such thing as equality. the sooner you learn, the faster you'll adapt.

what's equal about being black vs white when 100 years ago we oppressed all colored members? we're all equal but not during that century. we will never be equal, just like all whites will never be equal to one another. America is the most obese nation, we spend the most resources on drugs, we are a nation of insecure consumers who live for the temporary satisfaction in between commercials. we all run a different operating system, we aren't equal, we're all unique with an opportunity to succeed. how you spend that time is irrelevant to equality.

14. If there was no such thing as equality then we wouldn't be discussing it. Our differences come from things like social and economical differences. If we lived in a pure communist society, would not the citizens be equal? We viewed blacks during the civil war as property rather than men. Haven't we seen an increase in respect towards that race? Equality exists my friend, achieving it is the problem faced. America is a democracy, we are given all of these freedoms. Are you complaining that people can do what they please? Maybe instead of "no such thing as equality" it is you who does not believe in equality.

15. Notions of equality or inequality are entirely subjective. There is no way to prove anyone is greater than anyone else... so ultimately, everything is equal as saying they are not is just a relative opinion.

16. On my planet we look down on the inferiority of human concepts of spirituality and community. Sure, there is a small representation of your kind that occasionally see the big picture, but unless your kind has a profound shift in consciousness, I'm afraid you're all doomed. After that we are going to harvest your planet for resources.

17. True equality can never be achieved. Even if people were put under a Marxist rule as you propose there will still be inequality because people will continue to judge one another. Simply because people have the same job/income/house etc. there will still be an "in" group and an "out group" and the "in" group is typically sought after where as the "out" group tends to be looked down upon.

18. So, you guys have perfected inter-solar system travel yet molecular engineering is beyond your grasp? Doesn't add up. :p

Or are you from Nibiru?

19. Naw, we got the molecular engineering down pat. It just doesn't feel as good unless you really "earned" it, know what I mean? Nothing like putting in a good hard-day's work breaking down a planet of a doomed species, the look on their faces is priceless.

20. Somebodies thinking a little TOO deep lol