How contact lenses are made

Discussion in 'General' started by cheebaa, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Hey City,

I was watching "How its made" on Discovery channel and they showed how contact lenses are made.

It was pretty interesting and not how I expected it.

I thought perhaps the contacts were molded maybe with a liquid silicone that turns to a gelatin-like solid.

I had NO CLUE a solid disc was used, a lathe, that they are polished...... Who would have thought that a lathe is used to make contact lenses???

Its quite interesting, check it out.

<embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://www.shoutfile.com/emb/E1HXju44" allowFullScreen="true" width="400" height="300" border="0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

2. I fuckin' love that show! You appreciate everything more when you realize how its actually made for you to use.

3. For sure. I love watchin it. I remember the surf board one especially, that was crazy.

I wear contacts so that was even cooler for me to watch :)

4. I love seeing all the automation too- its amazing what we can do with machines, or what machines can do for us I should say.

Same here- I wish they would have shown the special effect ones though, I had a pair that were like a lizard back in the day.

5. I had ones that made my eyes completely white.

Id talk with my mom, walk into the bathroom and put em on, walk out and talk to her again, or just walk by making sure she noticed. :D

6. That's pretty sweet. As a former contact wearer, that was really interesting to me. I always wondered how they made the lenses :D

7. they should figure out how to make contacts not roll onto the back of your eye
    that happened to me last night such a pain in the ass to get out

8. They are working on (or may already have-I'm not sure) implantable contacts.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060227123419.htm

9. It's not too hard... Hold your eye lid open with your eye rolled up as far as you can get it... Drop some eye drops down that bitch, let go, and tip your head forward. A few blinks and it should come right out... I used to have that problem all the time.

10. Wow! I just got contacts 4 days ago! I was wondering how they were made too! And I love how its made!

So I had to +rep you, cheebaa. I had no other choice. :D

I tried smoking with contacts for the first time yesterday, and it was amazing! The way that EVERYTHING is clear and sharp (I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade, i'm 20 now) reminded me of rolling.

I had such a hard time getting the lenses out though! My eyes got super dry, red, and irritated, and it was like my lenses bonded to my eyes! :eek: When I put my dry finger on the lens and tried to move it off the center, it wouldn't budge. I could even see my eye move, but not the lense! Finnally I was able to break it free, but it was crazy...

11. Figure I'd just give this a bump- incase anyone missed it over the weekend