How close can my plants get to a 250w HPS??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DreSpider, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

Brief introduction: I'm a complete noob who just got into growing, it started out as an experiment which got out of hand.

Please note I had no idea what I was doing when I first started so have come here seeking advice and constructive critiscm since I've noticed a problem with some curling leaves.

Firstly I grew my plants all in the same pot to start, i was going to grow the whole lot under CFL but that soon changed as I became educated.

Here are my 5 northern light seeds sprouting from the ground under two 30w CFLs.

[​IMG]

The plant in the bottom right of the picture above was stuck in his seed and sadly passed as I put him outside to try and grow. I then built the below enclosure from camping mats.

[​IMG]

I then bought a grow tent 100x100x120(height) and this is the little guys growing, apologies for light but i used my camera phone and didn't understand that HID lights strobe.

[​IMG]

During vegging the two largest of the plants displayed the male balls and were destroyed without hesitation.

[​IMG]

The two ladies have been growing substantially since putting them into flower, I really can't believe how big they've become which has left me with an issue. One of the plants is growing to nearly a foot under my 250w HPS and I've noticed leaves curling (highlighted below in blue).

[​IMG]

I'm very confused as what to do now, funds are low so a taller tent is out of the question (but wish i had of bought one now). I was thinking about topping the stems but it looks like that's where all the bud is going to be growing.

HELP!!!

Attached Files:

2. Hey Bro,

First of all, nice grow! Great move to invest in the 250w HID lamp. (as you can see by your results!) :) idk if your tent is for security or reflectivity? The 250w light should be no closer than say 8-10 inches (203-254 mils) Keeping a close eye on the leaves reaction is a great best practice, wilting and yellowing will signal that you are too close with the light. Anyway, I would sacrifice using the tent to get more space for the plant to grow if that is possible.

3. #3 DreSpider, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks for the swift reply mate. I definitely noticed the difference with HID, quite remarkable, and I'm glad I topped them also as they became nice and bushy.

Sacrificing the tent isn't too much of an issue since they're on 12/12 now and in a large separate room. Do you know if removing the reflection will drastically decrease the bud potential?

4. I am a big fan of the reflectivity option, but you don't ned to sacrifice anything if you can afford a roll of mylar? I have my grow area covered with it and it does a great job of "recycling" the light! So mylar in the grow area, if not mylar, use aluminum foil! :)
    Good luck with your girls! :)

5. #5 DreSpider, Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, it seems obvious now. I got paranoid :) I'll stick the plants in a corner of the room, grab some Mylar and put it where I can.

EDIT: oh I have just thought of an issue, I had an extractor fan in the tent with ducting which I was going to point out of the window. The plants don't smell that bad yet so I have no idea what to expect from that side of things. Does anybody know if the northern light strain is particularly smelly?

6. #6 420oney, Sep 8, 2011

Welcome brother. I'm new to this site,but use to follow another,but never a member and theres all kinds of help here and it makes the other site petty.

Longtime smoker with a few grows(5/6) under my belt and like to share experiences,my conditon warrants this as medicine and it helps,also have a doc that would give a script,but not legal here,but 40 miles North(crock of shit) and I aint moving,how is this the united states when every state has different laws(crock of shit to),ok enough complaining.

I first started with a 400 w/hps and kept that about 1.5',sure u could adjust a bit,better to be safe than sorry,I've recently switched to a 250whps,cause im in an apartment and turned the other closet into veg/cloning,gotta kinda watch the bill,so I've had 2 grows with the 250w and keep it about 1',seems fine and dandy,I'm home bound because my condition,so I can monitor easily. Thats my 2 cents,may not be 100% accurate,but so far so good. Peace.:wave:

P.S. How did that work out for u,putting multiple seeds in 1 pot(as far as xplanting)? Havent seen a whole lot on that,but looks good.

7. Like this to,but another option I've heard of is @ walmart,think there called emergency blankets,maybe in the camping section. Anyone?