how close can my girls get to the light

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mikelamb22, Oct 4, 2008.

1. i was wondering how close my plants can get to my 400 watt metal halide and would it be the same distance for my 1000watt hps or would it have to be farther away. "bumblebeetuna"

2. really depends on your ventilation but atleast 24inches

3. I'm running my MH about 1.5 feet off the top of my seedlings.. about 1 foot
    off of my bigger plant that im vegging.

It is definitely too close to the tops without a fan moving the air between the light
    and the plants. I have one that blows right between the two, it gives the plants
    some movement and keeps the tops at around 82 degrees F. Without the fan,
    it gets over 95 F in no time.

~Experimentalist

4. Put your hand between the bulb and the bud, is it hot? You really just need to worry about removing the heat, then its all good, doesnt matter how close they are. Iv seen my buds get within inches, but i have good ventilation and enclosed grow area.

5. Here's what i do,1000w hps[hydrofarm system] i can keep 12"-18" from the tops.I run a fan across the tops of the plants and it keeps them cool and not hot.My 2 400w's i can keep 10" to 12" with out a fan on the tops and not have burn or heat problems.
    The fan on the 1000w also keeps it cool,i can keep my hand 6" from it and it's just warm.
    With out the fan the heat is bad,at 6" i would get a bad burn on my hand.