How carbon Filters work?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Invisible Toker, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I seem to be a little on the dumber side of things with a carbon filter, I want to start a grow but smell WILL be a problem, So I painted a picture of how i suspect the filter works anyone care to tell me if this is correct?
    [​IMG]

2. Almost.
    Your passive intake should be on the bottom and exhaust should be on the opposite side on the top. So that way you will pull the cooler air from the bottom and exhaust hot air from the top.
    Speaking of carbon filter it should go like this - >>>CARBON FILTER>INLINE FAN>AIR OUT. You have to suck the dirty air trough the filter in to inline fan and pull it out. So your carbon filter must be inside of your grow tent.
    Also make sure that you have air tight grow area so that way you'll have negative pressure inside of your grow so smell will not escape trough the passive intake.
    You can look here on my set up to get an idea of ventilation set up:http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/769345-my-secret-jardin-not-done.html#post9858368

3. So more like this?
    [​IMG]

I'm having to do a micro grow in a PC case so I will be using a DIY Carbon filter i found in these forums.

4. #4 Downtownhonkey, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    Your first drawing would work depending on the type of filter you make and the exhaust fan would have to be attached to the filter on the other side of the room. The second drawing would work better though.

5. Thanks Downtown, I actually am currently in the process of construction as we speak on it, Going to be installing in the morning, Already have my bulbs set and my scrog build this was just the one thing that always had me confused a tad. Take it easy thanks again. :hello::smoke:

6. Place the intake hole on the apposite side, so that way fresh air will travel trough the entire grow area before getting in to carbon filter. On your second drawing air will travel up on the left side leaving your right side poorly ventilated.

7. #7 i dont give a f, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    Here's my cab, basically what your going for it seems:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can 2600

Valueline 171 CFM inline fan

Valueline 150 HPS + 35 watt CFL @ 2800 + 23 watt CFL @ 6500

8. preferably, you dont want an intake fan unless you need one. and you want the fan outside the box/tent sucking and expelling air out rather than pushing.