How can you tell when the buds are ready to pick and cure

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by buckam21, Sep 13, 2006.

1. I'm in the Toronto Canada area...the temp is on average 15C/59F - 20C/68F. It hasn't frosted yet...but the leaves are turning purple on the edges. How much longer can I leave them outside. I have 1, 4 footer and 2, 2 footers...all budding nicely.

How can you tell when their ready to pick and cure.

2. Get a microscope and look at the trichomes

3. Do I pick a budd then look at it, or look at it on the plant? Any picks of over ripened bud and proper bud?

4. i dont rly kno much but i think when its as big as u want it..its good to go..idk tho new at this stuff

5. Im pretty sure you cut one of the leafs off that has crystals on it (ones almost on the buds) then look at it under a microscope.

You should harvest when the crystals are cloudy and some of them are just starting to turn amber

6. Trichomes are transparent sacs of plant tissue containing liquid THC. Contrary to popular nomenclature they are NOT crystalline in any shape or form.

For my personal taste I harvest when about a third of the trichomes are amber. But for selling I hang on until three quarters are amber - the buds add weight in the meantime.

7. So you take a clipping from a leaf with crystals on it close to a bud. So my question is would the buds trichomes actually be further along then the leafs since it is further from the actual bud so when say 60% have went amber maybe 75% really have? Just a question i have been pondering.:devious:

8. haha good question i have no fucking idea.... ask SP wheres SPANISH haha he would know fam thousand

9. You mean like the first few flowers to emerge and thus the oldest right?

You know, i doubt anyone has ever checked internal bud trichomes. But you could turn the microcope on the external trichs showing on the bud itself id guess. See if theres any difference. To get the internal trichs you would need to pretty much destroy a bud to see them. I think we have to assume that the trichomes form from the stem outwards. But im not sure if it really works like this, it may form pretty much simultaneously, but just denser in the center.

Good question. Someone with surplus bud could probly afford to test it.

10. Oh, come on, I am not here to split hairs.

11. lol, i would think thats someone you would know or have tested?? if the trichs inside the bud are the same as the trichs on the lil piece of bud leaf you cut off haha +rep