How Can You Pick A Career

Discussion in 'General' started by Gosk8, Apr 22, 2014.

1. I don't find myself ever being 100% happy with any sort of job there is. I don't find the need to work 9-5 everyday or more to get a check that pays my bills and food. I see it as, if I used that time from my career into farming my own food and being almost self reliant, me, and most people would be much more complete much more happy. I see it every day most humans including myself are zombies. Let me ask you what you did last Thursday? Do you remember? No. But you can remember you did work that day. You did get up the same time as yesterday, made that same commute taking all the same streets. Boom there goes 40 years of your life. You finally retire and your bones are too crippled to enjoy some of the finer things in life such as hiking or going on rollercoasters etc. Yeah there are some really good times but it seems we all live with eyes closed. A third world native would live more in a week than most of us in a lifetime.  I am 21 and am still very young. When I get my check I can't comprehend why I am robbed of my taxes when none it gets put to use. What angers me more is news reports of politicians blowing money and wanting to increase taxes. America is in debt. Why can't be taught like we were children to save money? All this and more makes me believe that the game of life is no life to live.

I think working hard to save for a lump sum of good land is key. Living off it 50/50 along with using societies necessities. Having just a part time job to pay for those bear necessities also. 

Thoughts?

2. #2 -Martyr, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

Even God's perfect Eden was eventually tainted by outside influence. If you want to exist in a world that is less oppressive, stop running from it and contribute to positive reformation. If you don't want a career, find a passion and invest in that. Semantics, really. Unlike when you are a child, your world continues to revolve more and more around financial stability- stability which requires much more than a part time job, even if you're living in rural areas. Jobs pay with little security, careers pay better with even more security, and passions pay in fulfillment and other intangible entities- often with the potential to make either the least or the most, depending on how talented, hard working, and business savvy you are. You may not like being put into a box, but realistically speaking, you're going to choose one of these options on your own terms whether you realize it or not. I would hope that you have a passion for nature or carpentry if you're trying to live out there alone. More than that, I'd hope that you are a great carpenter. If existing in  your own little sphere outside of society's grasp was easy, everyone would be doing it.

3. Great feed back but to further extend, it is easy to go into that sphere being knowledgeable. Nowadays most people can't even change their own oil or they are paying to water their lawn when they can harness it freely with a 55 gal tub.

And of course I love nature and I consider myself somewhat of a carpenter. And I'd love to further explore its possibilities!

4. I thought of this before on an outlook of life & I couldnt agree more. I dont wanna waste my life getting caught up with work & for them to rob me everytime for my money. I'm still unsure what I would like to pursue in life but right now I'm just living life & plan to join the military.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Need money to make money or mad skills

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I just can't agree that the quality of life for everyone would increase if most people gave up their outside careers. There are a lot more goods and services to be provided than food.

Not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to be self-reliant at all. Or at least getting closer to it, like I am. It can be hard work though, and takes some trial and error (trust me :p). It's definitely not an easier alternative to a standard job.

Believe it or not, a lot of people actually enjoy their career. And even if they don't enjoy it, per se, they can still get positive effects from it subconsciously. Motivation, discipline, a sense of accomplishment, etc. Not to mention the good they can do for others through it. I'd be extremely disheartened (not to mention bored) if I had to give up my job. It's not the most important thing in the world, but it's still important to me, and not just for the paycheck.

There's a lot more to the world than 9-5 desk jobs.

7. OP.. You have no idea how much I relate to your thoughts...
    I'm 20 years old and I just don't get how can people live like this, you're born, you study, you work and study some more, you get a job in your career work 9 to 5 for some decades, then you retire and enjoy the money you made, but hey you're like 60 so you won't enjoy your money as of you were in your 30s..
    That whole plan doesn't make sense to me. The only "solution" I find would be to find a career you're truly passionate about, that's the only way I could stand that whole routine. So here I am, 20yo and I can't seem to find my passion in life, people tell me I have to keep looking and It'll eventually come to me, so that's what I'm doing..

8. Make a wheel biard with a bunch of occupations you might be willing to do.
    Spin it.
    Throw a dart.
    There's your life. You're welcome.

9. Tough fuckin' shit, that's how life works so get used to it.

10. I wish I lived in medieval times where I can build my own house and hunt my own food and not need permits from a government to do so. I'd live in a nice forest and just hunt with my bow and dog. Simpler times really.

11. Literally was going to post this

12. #12 UnsuspiciousUsername, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Ewwwww, build your OWN house and hunt your OWN food in MEDIEVAL times? Yuck.
    What do you think peasants are for? Think big bro.

13. Simpler times? Haha, no way.

Literally your job was trying to stay alive. Do you know how rough winters were? The slightest sickness and you couldn't go out and get food, you'd start to starve and get more sick. Constantly hunting for food, gathering supplies, etc. Those times were rough. 

14. I was going to say something like this. If by simpler you mean involving little extravagance, then yes. But simpler as in easier? Hardly. And governments still existed and were oppressive (often more so than now) during medieval times.

15. Nothing is simpler than living in America post WWII lol

Not one goddam time in history was simpler to live in.

Get a job. Make money. Do fun things with off time. Die.

Pretty goddam easy if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Finmmmn

16. Yep, exactly. People getting their heads cut off for the pettiest of crimes. People dying from all sorts of diseases. Most people were poor. Shitty times. 

17. #17 Thereturn420, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Remember OP, grass isn't always greener on the other side.
    I can relate to a lot of your points, and agree(d) with many of them, especially in my younger days, but it is hard to take you seriously when you make a claim such as "A third world native would live more in a week than most of us in a lifetime." 
    I think you really lack perspective on how damn lucky you are in the grand scheme of things, because life in the 3rd world is not just some less complicated, less stressful utopia where life is lived fruitfully.
    You clearly don't understand how much senseless pain, hardships, and suffering the majority of this earth experience due to lack of modern amenities, human rights and extreme poverty if you make a claim such as the one above. 
    Life in the 1st world quite literally means you were born into a single digit percentile as far as global wealth disparity is concerned.
    Basically, you have a choice due to relative financial security and privileged upbringing to have some what of a say on how you live your life that most can only dream of.
    It is up to you to try your hardest to position yourself in this world in a way to fulfill yourself psychically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, ect. You have greater resources than the majority of the world to do so, so don't lose sight of that over slightly naive philosophical musings.  

18. Hey we make be lucky but most of aren't even thankful for what they have. We got to have a holiday to remind us. And I'll stick by my guns  a third world native does live more than us. Literally, they are put in situations where they look to live the next day when some of us live comfortably and can sit on a computer all day. A lot of us do not live like it's our last. Most third worlders don't even live to half our age. I'm sure they have a hell of a lot of stories to tell compared to some of us. Ya what'd you do today? Went to the spa and then shopped at Wal-Mart. Third world. What'd you do today? Hiked 15 miles to follow a kill then hiked 15 miles to bring it back to the family.

19. #19 Cawdswallup, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    Said it for me.

All that I would like to add for the OP is that you will always think the life you have is shit if you don't change your attitude. The best way to do that is to expand your mind. You're in the perfect place to do that, a place where resources are so easily accessible.

20. Is it really a 9-5 grind of tediousness if you love what you are doing in those hours? It's not JUST about making money to buy food and pay bills. You're not supposed to WAIT until you're fucking retired and 60 to actually enjoy the fruits of your labor. Perhaps if you are doing something you hate, I could see why this thought process might apply, but a good portion of the populace absolutely love what they do everyday. If life is so miserable, why even keep going? 

Try to coincide what you do for fun with your career choice, and you will go far; stick with the first job that was available and misery will be your company in life. When you choose a major in college, pick something that you actually have an interest in! Beats monotony in a cubicle any day. Sounds like you're just making it more complicated than it needs to be, nobody said you HAD to be confined to such a sad state, broaden your horizons, the bigger picture will become more clear.