How can you get started in the cannabis buisness?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by Cardboardbox, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Just wondering if anyone knows how I can get started in the grow part of the industry. I've been thinking of a job change but if I do I want to make sure it's something I will enjoy and could put pride in my work. I dont have "experince" that I can really show them legally ya kno. My knowledge is just from studying about grow and helping people with theres. So I know I ain't going to be no master grower but assistant grower? So if you can give me any tips or info it would be helpful I do have alot of questions but heres a few.
    Is it worth it?
    Do I need a degree? If so how can I get one
    I got more but I will wait lol.
    If some one on here is a master grower or assistant grower it would be awesome if I can get to know about the actual day to day kind of job it is. I know I can read about it but I delive it's best to ask what other people experience. Sorry kinda rambled on there.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm trying to do the same, if you had luck it will be cool if you share your experience

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

3. Cannabis job offerings.

Master grower=1 needed $250,000.00 student debt required for the 5 masters degrees in the plant field.
    Must be bilingual.
    Assistant growers=4 needed, Illegal aliens working below minimum wage.

Front Office Sales positions. 4-6 needed.
    Young cute females, Large breasts preferred. No knowledge about the product needed.
    Sex sells and always has. Minimum wage.

Several friends checked it out. The young cute girl was the only one who got hired but quit after 6 months. Some argument over withholding taxes. Even in legal states the banks still won't touch the money for the most part. Still drug money under federal law.
    She won't talk much about it pending legal bla bla bla. Guess she's been called for grand jury testimony against her former boss when his payroll screw-ups came to light.

This is California. Cannabis has been Legal (LOL) since 1996 but you still run afoul the law.

From about 2000 to 2012 the Cannabis shops here multiplied like rabbits. In some of the older commercial zones you could find 6 or more in a single block. Prices were so low I stopped growing as it was so cheap and easy to buy. Competition was fierce for customers and you could dicker over the price.
    Then the city got on it's high horse and OMG we can't let this happen. It's all out of control.
    We need limits and licenses and.... a Drug Czar and 1,000 more bureaucrats.
    99% of those shops are gone. Prices quadrupled or more and most of us started growing again.
    Now they passed state wide Recreational and the taxes are just stupidly high so the black market is back doing better then ever. Smart.
    Like everything. The more the government gets involved the more fucked up it becomes.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. They dont understand yet. Remember me 5 years ago when I finally moved to Humboldt county ca to become a grower. Well when actually working on the farms it disgusted me that people use the words "Master grower" made this one guy look like an idiot when I said "welp guess anyone that picks up a container of Max Sea becomes a master grower.

I now work full time with even better health benefits and pay than I was getting at the sawmill. Humboldt AG supply I get to build soils and learn about new and old amendments. My discovery of adding fish hydroslate to malted barley with a little starch and bacillus subtilis and licheneous bacterias make the enzymes and feeding of fungus such as michrorizza explode. Check it out.

20210224_172006.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Yeppers I do remember.

BNW

6. I got interested few years ago in growing up and harvesting, after reading and planning a lot finally i decided move to humboldt county ca to take a chance maybe as a trimmer or grower assistant, i don't know something for begginers, i mean i want to learn of this and i Don't know how to do the step into, i know maybe i should study smtg but I'm reading as much as i can. You think you have some suggestions for a begginer? Thx

• Like Like x 1
  7. I got interested few years ago in growing up and harvesting, after reading and planning a lot finally i decided move to humboldt county ca to take a chance maybe as a trimmer or grower assistant, i don't know something for begginers, i mean i want to learn of this and i Don't know how to do the step into, i know maybe i should study smtg but I'm reading as much as i can. You think you have some suggestions for a begginer? Thx

8. Welcome to the area trimmigrant. They have a saying if your meant for Humboldt then you'll stay otherwise it will chew you up and spit you out. Also not being a local number one rule in Humboldt I love "stay the fuck out of people's business" and don't piss anyone off are you'll add to the nation's highest missing persons rate.

Yep with this new job basically makes my indoor hobby free now just pay PG&E. I am even getting Aricanado estates Pancakes clones for free early next week. Think the seeds are normally $350. Their Rainbird is the fastest photoflowering strain out there.

• Like Like x 2
  9. This for sure in California dispensaries. A damn shame.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Best advice though do what I did and join a sawmill and learn multiple trades. Cannabis companies realize this Is a business now and prefer skilled work ethic rather than a bunch of stoners and drinking on job like they used to back in the day of the hills. Try emerald employment or dark staffing for cannabis work if you want to get your name out there. I worked in the hills for only 4 months and at the end of the season. Emerald employment was told I was probably the best employee they ever had. I was then receiving multiple offers and the one that won was Humboldt AG supply owned by Northcoast horticulture supply. In two years have my own company truck and even funding for my soil microbiological science classes at HSU as well as photo biology. My name is actually becoming known in this industry. Also people love my attitude and even told I am weird for even Humboldt county but in a good way lol.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Nope the farms too. Literally all the Humboldt honeys are in the hills sucking some wannabe growers dicks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fish have to swim. Chicks have to eat :eek::ey::makeup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yet another perk of learning to cultivate. Hopefully I became a good enough cultivator while I can still get an erection

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Hills are full of fucking idiot growers who think picking up a bottle of max sea makes you a expert grower lmao.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I’d listen to Sade because he’s actually doing what you are asking how to do.

As a guy who has owned several small businesses over the years and currently works for a large corporation what I take away from Sade’s posts is work ethic. Talk is cheap. Everyone who interviews for a job says the same things but it is after they are hired that the employer finds out the truth.

a few years back my business was bought by a big corporation and I found myself as a member of their management team. At that time I was an unknown quantity for the Corp and I had to prove myself to my new employers. So what I did was I stopped talking an started doing. I made sure I was the first one to come to work in the mornings. If it was needed I’d stay late. If something needed doing I did it. I didn’t ask and I didn’t make a big deal out of my doing I just did it. I later found out that the corps plan all along was to get rid of me, but I made myself such a valuable asset to the operation that my immediate supervisors made it clear to our Corp overlords that they needed me to insure our operation was successful.

That’s what I would recommend to someone trying to get into anything new, be the guy they can always rely upon. At the end of the day everyone has excuses but every now and then you find someone who doesn’t need to make excuses because they always do what they say they are going to do. That’s how you build a reputation in a field that can actually follow you from job to job and create opportunities for you to get ahead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. If I were young I’d look into a botany/Horticulture degree somewhere and get an education. Who knows, you may make a lick planning flower garden beds around the homes of people who cashed in early on weed.

17. I may be wrong but I am hoping there is still time to learn and get into the MJ industry, especially considering over half the states still have not legalized and a decent number don't even allow Medical use yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. My work ethic and passion a thousand questions a day has shown my work the love and dedication and will help in funding in educational classes at HSU in a couple years.

Find people that have educational degrees in botany, soil, photo biology etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. We have two landscape companies who pay the extra money to get built with amendments and minerals then mixed to use actual soil in their landscaping rather than miracle grow. I let them know how much I appreciate that and it's cool because they seem to light up when I let them know I think that's awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I got a buddy who got in the weed biz. He bought a qp and started slinging quarter sacks around town. I’m not sure but I don’t think he has a degree or a license.