How can the human race survive the next hundred years?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Elem3nt17, Jan 5, 2009.

1. In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years? If we continue on the way we are now, eventually famine, overpopulation, disease, climate change, total political corruption, and global warfare are all pretty much a garuantee. So what has to happen in order for us to survive as a species? Post your thoughts.

2. nothin. we're fucked

3. Alot of us perhaps but not the entire human race. Even in the face of complete catastrophe a small percentage of the humanity would continue to strive. I made the this thread so people would post some thoughts on what we might have to do in order to survive. 'We are fucked' is just defeatest.

4. we missed our chance of reform... it was now.... we needed a complete and total societal shift...

nothings to say an event wont happen that will unite humanity, something out of our control...

or we will all die...

who knows, who cares...

5. Unfortunately it is human nature to be unable to learn harsh lessons and evolve without going through something terrible. The next 10 years are gonna be hard. Many people will die, but the few that survive will finally realize the inequities and the disgusting ways of humanity right now, and hopefully we may rebuild a better society.

6. It's our civilization that's delicate, not our species.

They rise and fall more often and with more gravity than we care to recognize.

7. until the power of love, ovre comes the love of power, we will never see freedom

8. Well,

when you think about it..such events have been happeneing all throughout written human history..its happening on such a larger scale, mostly because of the population increase we have seen since the industrial revolution

this cycle will continue to repeat in my mind, but I always see that "life will find a way" to survive..

we are just in a blink of an eye to the universe

9. You should read Jared Diamond's Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, as well as Cormac McCarthy's The Road. They're making a movie of the 2nd one, but both books tie in very well together about humanity and the problems we're facing and possible/actual consequences. Very interesting.

10. I dont think people seem to realize that within the next 100 years, one of the 2 things will happen.
    1.) Over population, leading to massive starvation, and alot of death.
    2.) War, most likely, nuclear. Killing off almost our entire population.

But there is also the theory that sun-storms will one day become so intense they will kill us. I've heard that this will happen sometime around 2012.
    Which is the supposed 'End of the world'. Or so the ancient Mayan calendar says.

So yeah, basicly were fucked.

11. #11 Medicine Al, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    Conservation, cultivation, consideration, and community.

As a race, humanity is far better off today, than one hundred years ago, when these same fears existed, as expressed in the OP.

There's always going to be doomsday seekers, and profiteers of fears. We now have a grasp of global problems, that would have been impossible to fathom 100 years ago. Exploit that awareness to create for benefits to all, and do not allow liars to rob you or cheat you with manipulated numbers.

Look at the last one hundred years, it sounds like a roll-call of potential disasters...

The war to end all wars was in there... and the war after that....and a lot of wars after that...no end in sight. But we're still going, after the pandemics, the tsunamis and earthquakes, and the volcanoes erupting, and the atomic bombings too, all devastating events to describe.

And yet we were not wiped out, not even close. We are still growing, faster than ever.

Humanity as a race, is not so easily killed... consciences unfortunately, are another matter.

Perhaps in one hundred years time, we will have developed a more unified conscience.

12. If you accept God as your Lord and savior.. i dont think you have anything to worry about.

13. I'm not religious and I dont buy into the whole doomsday tripe.

14. #14 Arnack, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
    Well, I don't like to predict the ultimate happening of the Earth in the next 100 years but...
    Think 1000 years ago. We have advanced so much politically in the standards of human rights and corruption in the government. We've also advanced so much in technology- defensively and offensively. We've come a very far away.
    A possibility is the use of nukes, and the current nations who have nukes, I think, are too smart to throw the Earth into something as catastrophic as a nuclear winter.

We will see, we will see. As long as the nukes are maintained extremely carefully and a comet doesn't come flying into us
    and God doesn't open up Hell on Earth, I think we will be fine.

15. I don't think we're doing that bad. I think the media blows smoke about a lot of thing. Global warming is total bullshit, I can't prove it but I promise in 10 years it will bedebunked and discredited. We're not going to blow each other off, at least not in my lifetime. Nothing is going to happen the only thing that will happen is 1000s to 1000000's of people will die in various places and times both naturally and human made.

So, as long as a evil mastermind plans our destruction, or an alien attack we're all just fine.

Until further notice...

16. It's interesting (at least for me) to note that you're concerned with when global warming theory will be "debunked", as if that will determine its reality. I personally am more interested in what actions are going to be taken by people, nations, and corporations in those ten years until debunking that will be justified or rationalized by this theory. I guess I care more about the pragmatics than the proof of theory.