How can something be natural or unnatural?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by hippie flip, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I hate it when people say things like cars, or computers are "unnatural." I mean, everything is made from naturally occurring materials, and humans are natural beings, obviously. In my opinion a human creating a computer is really the same kind of concept as a bird building a nest, collecting materials, preparing them etc. Obviously the process is just much more advanced, people seem to be under the illusion that anything advanced is unnatural. Why do people view our actions as a species to be somehow above the animal kingdom?

I think the correct term should be organic or inorganic.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I've been wondering the exact same thing. I agree with you in many ways, everything is natural, but I think it's more to do with NATURALLY OCCURRING, and that is what humans have changed. Not a lot of what we use is naturally occurring.

3. I mean, not really? :confused_2: depends on how you define 'made', but new chemicals are synthesized in laboratories everyday. In labs, not in nature, ergo, naturally. I think that is how something can be natural or unnatural.

4. Typically these chemicals are not used in everyday processes. And I still think it's natural BECAUSE A HUMAN DID IT, they combined chemicals etc, developed the technology.

If we're doing it then it's natural...otherwise we wouldnt be doing it. It's hard for me to explain really, hopefully someone gets what I mean.

5. I mean a lab is natural, it was produced by animals, and the fact it's there means it's natural to me, otherwise it would have been impossible to create.

6. Step 1. Go to google
    2. Enter "define: natural"
    3. ?????
    There ya go

7. Except that's completely stupid as humankind is a part of nature.

If that's the definition then that's the definition. What I am saying is why does the human race put their actions above the animal kingdom?

8. I concur hippie. :bongin:

Just like there is no "supernatural", unnatural things are a poor description.

9. I know what you mean, but I separate man's creations in another way.

We are the only organism to create inorganic waste.

10. That changes the theme of the argument, the definition is the definition I agree, but I'm not sure why we think we are so special :rolleyes:

However our understanding of the world and the ability to manipulate it as such does set us above the rest, we are highly advanced and in that respect it makes sense, you don't see monkeys making fire, or whizzing quarks around a circuit and crashing them together! Animal achievements are fantastic and even humans lack the understanding of a vast majority of the natural world, but thats why I think our achievements are deemed unnatural.

11. #11 hippie flip, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011

Humans occured naturally, obviously. When humans built stone tools that's a natural process, I just see things like computers and cars, nuclear technologoy, whatever, as more advanced tool building. Seriously, why the hell are the actions of a species on earth considered unnatural?

I think making fire is a completely natural process, like I said tool building is a natural thing to do. Just because we are more advanced that doesn't make our actions in a different category, in my opinion. Obviously the dictionary begs to differ. To be perfectly honest I think this opinion is rooted somewhere in religion, since religious people believe that humans are effectively the center of the earth and don't put themselves on par with the animals that they evolved with.

12. we are natural so i guess everything we make is natural

13. pretty much my point in a sentence.

14. Because we make things that do not exist in nature, I believe. Nature = natural, not nature = not natural.

I think its pretty simple unless I'm missing something

15. #15 hippie flip, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    But it does exist in nature given the fact it's fucking right there.

To make "unnatural things" you obviously have to combine "natural" things, otherwise how would they get there in the first place? Humans are merely a natural medium to combine such things.

Obviously it's not as simple as that but you get what I mean (hopefully)

16. For it to exist in the first place, it has to be natural, right?
    Then in saying that, doesn't that make the word "unnatural" obsolete?

17. I also believe it's more of an "organic" or "inorganic" type of thing.

18. That's what I am saying. In my opinion everything is natural unless it comes from another fucking dimension or something. Something that is inorganic is still natural given the fact is was created through natural means by natural beings.

19. I think "natural" to a lot of people is anything that grows but you're right; I'd call an ant mound natural for instance.

20. Ant mound = inorganic thing created by natural beings using natural means = still natural

Apartment block = inorganic thing created by natural beings using natural means

it's the same concept just on a much much much grander scale

Why is the human race exempt form this logic?