How can I turn my leaves purple?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Zedstomper, Aug 22, 2012.

1. some say photoperiod does it and then an expierenced grwng friend told me it's the temp?

Long story short hw do you successful grow purple leaves and bud

2. give your plants a "purple nurple"

can't go wrong...

3. i like the Jets

4. Cold night time temps.

5. The purple color is called anthocyanin and it is found in many plants. The blue color of blueberries is due to anthocyanin.

Some cannabis plants are just naturally purple- their ancestors came from a colder climate and the anthocyanin's purple color helps soak up the sun.

Some cannabis plants have sufficient number of anthocyanin genes that they can turn purple if they get too cold.

Some cannabis plants you can freeze to death and they stay green.

Granny :wave:

6. I am running a purple strain, and it really didn't color up much till the end. When all the hairs started turning dark brown/orange and i seen it had swollen all up.. and it was time to harvest (trichomes turning under microscope.. but i dont got that yet).

anyways, i took the plant, and shoved it in a closet for 2 days in darkness.. pulled it out and it was super fruity and had fully colored out.. anyways, try a day or two of darkness and let me know if that makes your stuff color up.. note that i was using a purple strain though.. so it may be strain dependent i don't think it will work on just any plant.

7. i dont think every strain will do it.

lower temps and humidity near the end

8. like this?... cold night times

[​IMG]

9. Cold temp are the key plus age of plant. I've had sone turn dark purple, leaves and bud.

10. Some people water their plants in the last week or two with ice on top of the soil.

11. Cold temp plus genetics..gotta have a pheno that can turn purple

12. yes without getting clones, I'm going to try on my last two days of veg and turn off the lights around 75 degrees.

I'll post pics