Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How can I tell if I am buying an indica, sativa, or hybrid? Thanks

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by James Corcoran, Dec 4, 2013.

1. #1 James Corcoran, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    Hi GC!

Anyone have any advice on how I can tell very reliably what type of weed I am buying?

I get very bad panic attacks with sativas or hybrids that are mostly sativas, so I want to get an indica or hybrid that is mostly indica.

Problem is, most of the dealers here are uneducated and don't even know there is a difference, and its hard for me to tell visually, especially with hybrids.

Ideally, i'd like a 75% indica, 25% sativa....and also I feel like my dealers just make up names that sound good lol so they really have no idea what they sell.

Thanks!

2. #2 Smooth Criminal, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    You won't know just by looking at it.Unless you get a dealer that could tell you what it is,sweater then this tell him to mix up your stock with different types.

3. Without a reliable source there is no way to tell. You cant eyeball genetics by looking at plants much less dried bud.

4. It is almost impossible to tell with the human eye, especially with the abundance of hybrids floating around these days.

5. Indica are generally dense,compact buds whereas sativas are fluffy, longer buds. Over time you will get to know the difference, but you will never know for sure unless you buy from a dispensary or a grower.

6. Ah damn, well I guess its harder than I thought :(  I can't wait for MA to have medical dispensaries...cuz I really can't afford more panic attacks but I really do benefit from and enjoy a good hybrid-indica.

7. Have you tried different ways of using it? I find that can change the way it hits you even just trying different bongs can work. That's what I do as I don't have access to different strains either.

Worth a shot.

8. #8 James Corcoran, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013

Yeah very true, I've been trying and I've found that lower temperatures are a lot better (using a vaporizer), probably because it releases more CBDs and less THC I'm thinking?  But at the same time, I feel wasteful just like "half-vaping" my bud lol if its a sativa-dominant strain.

I should try some more, thanks!

9. Yeah I run my vape pretty high and it gives me more of an up walking around high where as some of my bongs couch me pretty quickly. Same weed.

10. You can't really know unless you have a strain name, or buy from the grower.

Yeah I don't think that is how it works. I think THC has one of the lowest activation temperatures, so vaporizing will work against you. Sorry man.. 

Oh shit.  hmm I wonder why it seems better, maybe its just that the lower temp is releasing less THC than if it was at a higher temp.  Thanks for the correction.

13. Smoke it! :smokin:

14. Make a cookie, or I have very pleasant high when Im using bong filled with ice. As said above try some different methods. Use a vaporizer. 

15. [SUB]Smoke it. [/SUB]

16. [quote name="joker865" post="19101810" timestamp="1386197052"]Without a reliable source there is no way to tell. You cant eyeball genetics by looking at plants much less dried bud.[/quote]You're right about buds but when looking at a cannabis plant, the leaves will either be really fat or long and skinny depending on whether its an indica or sativa. Indica being fat and sativa skinny.

Does this difference (tall, skinny sativas and fat indicas) have any impact on the dried buds?  I had heard that denser, fatter buds were more likely to be indica and taller, thinner buds were more likely to be sativa but wasn't sure if there was any truth to that.

18. True but it still doesnt garauntee genetics. You can easily have a 75% indica, 25% sativa hybrid grown from seed that takes on a sativa phenotype even though its genetics are indica dominant.

19. [quote name="James Corcoran" post="19102146" timestamp="1386201365"]Does this difference (tall, skinny sativas and fat indicas) have any impact on the dried buds? I had heard that denser, fatter buds were more likely to be indica and taller, thinner buds were more likely to be sativa but wasn't sure if there was any truth to that.[/quote]So you're asking if the size of the bud relates to the appearance of the leaves? I'm not sure if that is 100% true as I haven't heard that myself, but the thing about skinny and fat leaves I can guarantee you is a fact. :)

20. [quote name="joker865" post="19102156" timestamp="1386201429"]True but it still doesnt garauntee genetics. You can easily have a 75% indica, 25% sativa hybrid grown from seed that takes on a sativa phenotype even though its genetics are indica dominant.[/quote]Valid point as well!