How can I speed control my fan?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bottled Cat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. At first I used the manual variable speed control similar to HTG's $20, but was constantly adjusting it, then I got a plug in thermostat $40 (standalone and in line with speed controller) , so I spent around $60, then I got the cap VSC-DNe for $64 plus $6 shipping, so I wasted the first $60. The VSC works very well, is quiet (but it is winter) and has a 5 year warranty, I know it is not cheap but buying the right thing in the beginning will save you headaches and money.

Titan controls makes a similar fan controller you might find it cheaper.

and here is a link to various controllers, pros and cons

Growery - Fan Speed Control 101

2. Variacs are a no no on motors with a starting capacitor.

Yours doesn't have one and it will work just fine.

3. tmp-dne is a plug in thermostat for idiot proof thermostat control for day/night(has photosensor to distiguish the 2)

vsc-dne is a thermostat w/day/night sensor also but also throttles fan speed....

vsc=throttles fan + thermostat
    tmp=thermostat

4. I basically wrapped a few tee shirts around my 6 inch fan, taped them down, and that worked to lessen the noise. Maybe that's an option for you as well.

5. Do you use a controller for your fan as well? I have been thinking of just putting the fan in some kind of box with insulation. When the fan runs at max speed the fan itself isn't loud, it's just the airflow. When I use the HTG Fan Controller (same thing as speedster) it makes the motor hum, and I assume the humming is a bad thing. My problem is, the fan I have is a 440CFM and my grow tent is 2x2x6 with a 250w hps so I don't need to full throttle it... and speed controlling it would help with the noise and add to the stealth.

6. Would a carbon filter and a fan exhaust drop the noise of the fan dramatically? I was thinking of: carbon filter in tent, hose running from that to fan, and having the exhaust hooked up directly on the end of the fan (air blowing out). Is that how you would go about setting that up? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions... my plants are just nearing their flowering phase and I really need to get this fan problem solved!

7. #28 Dirtbud, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    I have the exact same inline fans and to quiet them cheaply and easily I just bought some of the flexible duct, and made the inline fan, inline where the duct comes in from wall into fan then out of fan where I want it.

The fan sits on an old blanket on the floor and is nearly silent when on now. I don't know if that is an option for you but it prevented the vibration or the motor in that fan from making a ton of noise like it was.

Also I use a CAP day night temp control to only kick it on when needed... that thing is bad ass and I'm sure if I quit growing today I'd find at least 10 other uses for it in my lifetime. That is why I don't mind buying shit like that.

8. The blade design is reversed curve blade, not brushed. So, that's why the router control (HTG/Speedster) was not working correctly. I assume the only way to solve that, is to use the variac and possible a muffler and carbon filter...

9. #30 cocowheats, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

It would probably dampen the noise...AND if you are in a tent and trying to keep any amount of stealth...then YOU WILL NEED a carbon filter....even 1-3 flowering plants REEK like pot!...a seeled enclosure can only enclose so much smell...lol.

EXACTLY...neat little device...I'm sure I'll use it outside growing at least 2x in my lifetime....add that up with as much as i use it growing...and if time=$, then it paid for itself by now.

10. Do these work the same as dimmer switches? Shop Hunter 1.6-Amp 3-Speed Fan Control at Lowes.com

I was wondering if I could hook one of those up to an outlet, and use that for speed control... would be a cheap alternative in the mean time if it would work with no buzzing. What do you guys think? Does the 3 or even 4 way ceiling fan speed switches work the same as a light dimmer? Or do you think it could solve the problem?

11. #33 eloone, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
    Yes. They are motor rated. Normal dimmers are not motor rated.

12. #34 cocowheats, Jan 19, 2011
    IT IS RATED AC!...What's your fan rated?...They oughta match(dc w/dc and ac w/ac)....I'm done arguing ac with ac...dc with dc..I you chose to go ac/dc mix, I hope your house don't melt...Like I said, it's done all the time but it's not proper...I am no electrician once again, but I do have a good understanding.

By all means, good luck and let us know how that does work.

13. Yeah I will post back with my results, I will have money on Friday so that's when it will all go down. I am going to try to rig up a Hunter 3-Speed Ceiling Fan Switch first, since that fix will be under 25$. I will let you know how everything works, pics and installation guide as well.

14. #36 Bottled Cat, Jan 19, 2011
    Also since it wasn't quoted, I was unsure as to what you were saying would work... I've heard enough reviews about the Variac to know that it would work absolutely, but how about the 3 Speed fan switch by hunter? They are supposed to work with any kind of fan, and operates on 3 speed settings rather than a dimmer or having variable speed control. Will it be a waste of money?

EDIT: Thanks cocowheats for all your help too, didn't mean to keep having you argue in any position. I just hear 10 different things on each forum so it's hard to know what will really work and what wont you know? Thanks to everybody for the help so far too, just trying to get to the bottom of it!

Also, do variacs generate a lot of heat or noise? My fan is listed at using 1.15A, so I'm assuming that a variac with 3A would suffice, I could get one that supports 5 Amps but I am not sure I would need that much?

15. Sorry wasnt very clear. I can see on your specs that your fan is 120v. Yes the Hunter 3 speed fan control will work to control the speed of the fan. The fan control works the sam as a dimmer switch . But the hunter fan control switch is a heavier duty swich that was designed for motors. This was a electrical code change a few years ago. Regular dimmers would burn up sooner than expected.

As far as variacs I have never used them. My fan is in my attic and my room is down below. I use a wireless fan control by Hunter. Same as the kind you find at lowes or depot. wired it up like a regular ceillng fan and works great. No going up and down and if company shows up I can turn it down nice and quick.

Looks like its up to you to pick the one that it best suited for your application.

Hope this helps. And if you have questions on how to wire this up let me know

16. I didn't read all of the post so I don't know if this has been mentioned. A dimmer switch available from any good hardware store wired into the fan circuit would make your fan speed adjustable.

17. #40 cocowheats, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    No hard feelings Bottle Cat...like i said, people use improper stuff all the time BUT it works...just trying to let you know what you are potentially doing so YOU know.

Good luck...hope you fix your prob.

Grower409 mentioned it, a damper would be a cheap "throttle"...dosen't work to your liking, return it!