How can I safely install more lights on my homes power

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by biso17, Aug 24, 2016.

1. I am not worried about police I am starting my growing for medical purposes, but I want to tun upto 10 600watt hps lights at one time. is that possible in a average house.

2. maybe... depends on your house and whats considered average where you are.

Where I am 6kW would draw 25 amps on a 240v supply - meaning it could be drew from 2 uk domestic plugs, on the same ring main if theres not much else on it, but not on the same 2 gang outlet.

3. well i mean i am going to be way above any average, all i care about is what my house can draw, it will be all legal and no reason to try to blend in with the power bill. I just wonder how many KW i can draw all together into the house with out overloading it

4. youve not give us enough information to give you a straight answer.
    You are somewhere in the world in a house built at some time- your voltage could be anything between 100v and 250v, wired in any number of posible ways depending on the regulations of the place and time to sockets of potentially 14 different (and thats just the common ones) mains connectors of different sizes.
    I'd expect the vast majority of houses in europe built post ww2 to have the spare capacity easily, older places I certainly know of some that couldnt. I dont know whats considered a normal incoming supply size elsewhere.

power (kW) isnt really the relevant number- the limiting factors (rating of incoming supply, breaker capacity, wires in the final circuit and connectors) are all rated for a maximum current (amps) rather than power (kW). Current is power/voltage so again the magic number of will it fit or not depends on what country your in.

5. get an electrician to come in and install a MLC(light controller) capable of handling all of your lights and have it on its own 50 amp breaker. costs a few hundred but knowing that my whole grow is on its own line from the main outside is great and I doubt youll ever get close to needing more than a 50amp setup.