How can I Odor-Proof my Future Pc Grow Box?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RiotsRevenge, May 31, 2012.

1. Hi, this is my first post here at GC, but iv'e been reading through a lot of the stuff for a while. Currently I am planning out my PC stealth growbox.

I really need some advice on how to odor proof my box. I know it's snall and won't produce much smell, but it's something that needs to be done.

So you know, I'm going to grow 1-2 autoflowers in the case, and either scrog, sog, or lst. Most likely lst since its only 1 plant and its easy.

One idea was to use the Fresh2 odor neutralizing 2700k cfl's along with an exhaust fan. Should I use a passive intake or Use a fan for the intake?

Since it is an autoflower I could use both 2700k and 6500k bulbs at the same time. For the growing stage I would have 1 Fresh2 bulb and 3 6500k's since the smell isnt that bad. For flowering it would be the opposite with 3 Fresh2 and 1 6500k.

Another thing I wanted to use was a 4" inline fan with a carbon filter. Not a DIY one btw, a $100 hydropronic one from Amazon. The problem with that is that I have read that it is really loud, and I don't want to spend over $120 to get a quiet one, which can be around $300. I just wont have that money to spend after buying the case parts along with soil/nutrients/seeds.

Is there something that I can do? I want it to last a long time and not have to replace it every time i start a new crop. Replacing filters would be ok as long as there not like $30 each and I have to do it every harvest. I was also thinking ONA gel, but that is expensive and woudnt last a huge amount of time.

I dont really know about DIY carbon filters cause I read that the fans arent strong enough to pull a lot of air through. If u recommend a DIY carbon filter what CFM rating exhaust fan should I get, and whether to use a passive or (insert CFM you reccomend) fan for intake.

Thanks a lot for the help! If I can get this all up and started I will for sure post a grow journal on this and a few other forums.

2. Passive intake for sure. PC fans are all this grow should need. But an inline fan for a pc box is more than overkill. If you insist on using one you must know the carbon filter and fan are going to be a big loud contraption the size of another pc box by yours What you should do for smell is have your strongest exhaust pc fan hooked up to some sort of small ONA gel filter. For example an 4 inch inline fan is suited for a closet or dresser grow with HID 400w lights. Even a duct fan is overkill, besides where would you put these big fans?

You can get a Delta PC fan one that is over 100cfm's and have it blowing out the top back of pc and have a normal hepa style filter on the back. You can't use a carbon filter because they would require an inline fan, which would suck the living hell out of that little box. A carbon filter can't be used with weaker fans like PC or even duct fans are severaly weakened by them.

3. I suppose actually you could make a TINY carbon filter, or get a carbon pad to cover the pc fan. That would be like a square pad about a half inch think, air is just blown through that. Sorry people who have experince with these very tiny grows might be a be to help you.