How can I help you? Car issues anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by italian stallion, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Hey all it's a good day to pick my brain. A little slow at work.

2. bump

This is the last bump for this thread. I have some time any questions today?

3. I want to do a brake flush on my car with some fresh race fluid but and hesitant because of the abs system on the car. I know that if I took it to the dealership they would hook it to the computer that would make sure that what was in the booster was drained leaving only fresh fluid. I dont want any air in my lines later causin problems. Ideally I would use a brake bleeder and then run the new fluid through until I saw the color change on the underside of the car. Am I puttin too much thought into this? This is for a late model Mini Cooper :)

4. i personally would just leave the dot 3 it comes with.

5. I guess my question is : are the brake fluids compatable. The old stuff and the race fluid? If so just sypon out the master cyl. res. and refill with the new fluid. You could bleed the brakes normally and most if not all the old stuff would be gone. As afr as the fluid in your abs module don't touch that. Have the dealer do it.

Honestly not sure why your changing brake fluid?The brake system on most cars is a sealed system. Doesn't get used up to much or break down very much.

That is a common" up-sell" at dealership or big corp. repair shops.ie.Mieneke,midas ect..
    Unless your having a problem with your brakes or the fluid is dirty in the master cyl. Save your cash.
    Get back to me if I totally didn't answer your question.:smoking:

6. Amen brother! was real stoned answering that one. Your answer is better.

7. my boyfriends check engine light came on 2001 galant. nothing seems to be wrong under the hood. he says its the oxygen sensor because theres alot more exaust coming out but it doesnt smell inside the car so its not the cat.. so is the o2 sensor a proper diagnosis?

oh and my bf says my car (1998 plymouth neon) idles high. is this bad?

8. It depends on what the trouble code that is being stored in your computer? It could be an oxygen sensor and it could be 100 other things that can cause that light to come on.

Have it checked out. :smoking:

9. what place(as far chains go) would you recomend i go to get tires, ive heard some places charge rediculously high prices for new tires

10. Remember with tires you get what you pay for.
    Kinda like buying a good steak at the store. The more expensive the better the meat. Same with tires, the more expensive the better and longer they last.

I don't know what chains they have where you are? But you can buy cheap tires anywhere.Ie: walmart,sears ect.

11. The reason for the change is the higher boiling point and to lessen the brake fade while driving at the track. After several 100mph+ 'slam on your brakes' laps, I have boiled the current fluid and had my pedal goto mush. In time I will upgrade to larger discs and calipers w- better pads and lines but in the short term the fluid can use an improvement. Actually brake fluid does brake down as it oxgenates over time and the hotter your run your brake system the less life your fluid will have in its span. If you run your braking system hard, you may need to change more often then what the manufacturer suggests.

What I will probably do in the spring is use a pressure bleed and siphon off the excess from the reservoir and just feed the new stuff in a different color and hope for the best. Thanks! :hello:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ate/ate_superblue_fluid.jsp

12. Cool, love racing. Air flow can help temps too.

What kind of race car do you bring to the dealer? What kinda of racing? Sounds cool.

13. Sweet thread dude...

anyways.....I have a 2003 chevy cavalier. I bought it with 15K on it, and now it's up to 60K. I have been hearing a sort of groaning noise when I release the brakes. It seems like the noise is louder based on how long I've been pushing down on the brake, and whether or not I'm on level ground....the steeper the downward slope the louder the noise. It's always given off a strange noise whenever people get in or out of the car, and the noise the brakes make upon release sorta sounds like that noise (at least to me).

Now, my mechanic inspected my brakes and said they were in good shape and should last me a good while longer, and when I asked him about the noise when people get in and out, he said it's probably something to do with the E-brake, but nothing to worry about. I'm not so much concerned about the noise when people get in and out as I am with determining whether it is related to the noise I'm getting when I release the brakes. Thanks in advance.

14. Sounds like you have some sort of suspension bushing making noise. It's prolly weight transferring when you stop. Also up and down can cause similar noises. Have your ball joints checked and tie rods too. It's not the brakes making the noise.

Good luck:smoking:

15. Hey all I'll put this out there one more time. If I can answer a car questions let me know.

I'm bored @ work:smoking: