How can I become a "Master Grower" at a commercial grow?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by Inspiration420, Jun 26, 2020.

1. I love growing plants and this job seems like a real dream job to me. I have never worked in the commercial industry before. But I do A LOT of reading along with some growing so I already know a sizable amount of information about cannabis plants. I just need some help planning a route to get the job title "Master Grower." I've heard that you can work your way up by starting with a basic cannabis job or getting a degree in botany or horticulture. Since I have none of those what should I do? I was thinking about working my way up but where do I start and how fast should I be able to move up if I'm ambitious? Or should I get a degree? If so what degree and where from? Im fine with spending money on an inexpensive college and I'm thinking that would probably be my best option. I'm thinking a degree would net me a higher paycheck. So if someone could elaborate on the steps that I need to take to get a mater grower job please let me know!

2. Id say go to cheap college and get an entry level job and OJT that shit to the top.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If you keep growing the best pot ever on your own than you're an mg. Fuck titles and fuck those that dole them out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. How much does the position pay

5. Do the way most these commercial guys got the money to go commercial, in the first place! Then you will be a master grower and have your shit together. Once you’ve earned enough cash, laundered it all, you can finance yourself. I’d bet more then 90% of these commercial growers were able to fund getting into legal growing from money made when it was illegal! Plus they’re all considered master growers for developing and mastering their skills during prohibition! Otherwise, you’ll have to get you foot in the door, doing whatever you can do. Then learn everything and don’t be a know it all unless you truly know your shit cause there’s several ways to skin a cat. Even master grows are always still learning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Best way is a degree in Horticultral Science from your local college?

with advances in cannabis and hops, when one market dives you go to the other

good luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. There is a school in California for this. They are turning out all levels of grow ops. I believe it's in Oakland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Or make a name for yourself in your community of other fellow.growers..network with important people and so on, sample your product to the right people and move up that way...u just have to be real good at what u do...at least thats how I invision it for myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Maybe if you tell them that you 'Identify' as a master grower, and always have, they will hire you. It would be unfair to keep someone from being a master grower just because they don't have the same skills,knowledge,and background as a master grower.Just because someone hasn't dedicated themselves to the art of growing should be no reason to deprive them of the same respect due a master grower. And if they don't like it just get a couple thousand of your comrades to drive them out of business. That'll show them.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Am I sensing a touch of sarcasm? Its though over the interwebs but...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. There is no such thing as a master grower. A "master grower" consists of multiple individuals who work together. For instance, I am considered a horticulturalist, and I collaborate with an entomologist, an agronomist, a breeder, a botanist, other horticulturalists etc. Combined we equal one master grower. I have been growing cannabis for 15 years, 5 of those being in the commercial industry, and I would never call myself a master grower.
    IMG_20200625_073442323_HDR.jpg IMG_20200615_152451139.jpg

Today's Forcast... Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Amber.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Well said!

• Like Like x 1
  13. It averages 100k per year. But that's only if you can get to a top grower position.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeah I figured large grow operations would need multiple people like that. I just want to be one of those people in a high up position. I'm more interested in the horticulture side of things if you want to get specific. Since you seem to already be in the specific field of work I'm interested in, could you tell me a little bit about it? Did you ever get any type of degree or was it purely experience that got you the job? Also how much of your job is actually working directly with the plants? Is it more hands-on or do you have a lot of desk work?

15. #15 WeedCat, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Become a master gardener first by going through your extension office county program. It won't be cannabis but it will teach you so much about soil science, perfecting compost, growing with native plants, heat and weather problems, pests, etc...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Unfortinintly I live on a very small isolated island with practically nothing on it. I was really hoping to spend some time in California and ultimately move to Washington state. But there aren't any riots or coronavirus where I live. I also wouldn't be able to do social activities which are the whole reason I wanted to go there. Coming from a very isolated island i get a little lonely haha. But because of the condition of the USA right now I'm looking into online options. I'm thinking of cheap bachelors in horticulture taken online. Any impute on if this is the right choice?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Experience and education combined would be the best way to get a good job in the industry. I don't have a formal education in horticulture so I've had to be patient and work my way up in the company. I will say, the cannabis industry pays well compared to other agriculture businesses.

Today's Forcast... Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Amber.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I personally wouldn't be interested in taking something like this online as working with plants in very hands on. Curious where this isolated island is?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Start growing, doing anything you can

• Like Like x 2
  20. Agreed! I don’t like these new “professional” outfits claiming to have master growers and only looking at people with a collage degree. Having a college degree does not give you the hands on experience that a lot of AMAZING growers get from YEARS of experience. Experience doing this before it was the “in” thing.
    We built this industry and it bothers me seeing preppy college kids benefiting off what we built. Personally, I’m just going to keep doing my thing and not support the commercial industry. I would put any of my flowers up against this commercial shit.
    Sorry about my rant lol, I’m not sure how this is handled around the world but it’s not very well operated in Canada.
    As for the fellow that started this thread, if it’s what you really want to do. Get a degree of some sort and work your ass of, I’m sure you can make it to the top if you work hard

Kush's man cave

• Like Like x 1