How can Democrats take over power in Washington?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bluntzilla420, Jun 19, 2017.

1. "In 2016, the Democratic Party lost the presidency to possibly the least popular candidate in American history. In recent years, Democrats have also lost the Senate and House to right-wing Republicans whose extremist agenda is far removed from where most Americans are politically. Republicans now control almost two-thirds of governor’s offices and have gained about 1,000 seats in state legislatures in the past nine years. In 24 states, Democrats have almost no political influence at all.

If these results are not a clear manifestation of a failed political strategy, I don’t know what is. For the sake of our country and the world, the Democratic Party, in a very fundamental way, must change direction. It has got to open its doors wide to working people and young people. It must become less dependent on wealthy contributors, and it must make clear to the working families of this country that, in these difficult times, it is prepared to stand up and fight for their rights. Without hesitation, it must take on the powerful corporate interests that dominate the economic and political life of the country."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/...-how-democrats-can-stop-losing-elections.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hahahaha

Yeah right

• Like Like x 1
  3. Haha, I was about to reply that this sounds like some propaganda out of NYT or Huff post and then scrolled down to realize I was right.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. But it pretty much only runs off the money from corporate interests....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wait to be voted back in?
    Like big people do

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Taking power in Washington by eschewing Big Money just can't happen. With a presidential election costing about $1 billion and congressional/gubernatorial running into the tens of millions at least. Where are they supposed to get that money from?? Working class families who're living paycheck to paycheck?

Because of this, they're not going to be favorable to the working class or young people, even if they are known for speaking in blue collar liberal platitudes. We've been screwed over by career politicians in both major parties and voters still want to come back for more. Doing the same thing expecting different results is idiotic at best.

I expect the democratic establishment to redouble its efforts on securing special interest money, appealing to disenfranchised voters and will probably nominate a mainstream democrat who is more charismatic and likable than Clinton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disrespect dosn't float here. You are well aware of that. *RMJL
    This forum would cease to exist without your astute observations.

How is this propaganda? It's an opinion piece. How stupid can you be? (That's rhetorical. We already know.)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Please watch the disrespect guy. That's against the rules.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rules, Johnny?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You'd be pissy too if you were a democrat.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. #11 STIGGY, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Now of course this is only a Joke
    Do any of your remember Bogart in the treasure of sierra madre

But maybe a future Demo

• Like Like x 1
  11. Honestly I think Democrats should run on a more moderate platform rather than Liberal. I think this election has shown that most liberals live outside middle small town America. It doesn't matter if somebody gets millions more votes if the majority come from 3 state's you only get the electoral college points from those States.

My point is I think Democrats need to reach out too Middle America and ease of the liberal platform.

12. Just that you actually expect Democrats to stop taking Corporate money and do good by the working class.

It's hilarious really

• Like Like x 2
  13. 1. Stop with identity politics or at least tone down
    2. Drop gun control at least in more conservative areas
    3. Make it clear that they stand for border enforcement and amnesty simaltaneously like the gang of 8 bill they almost passed. Tone down some of the open borders rhetoric
    4. Propose generous benefits such as free public college and technical school tuition.
    5. Public option or single payer
    6. Expand social security
    7. Reduced international warfare
    8. Get better at messaging
    9. Grow a pair of balls and start fighting dirty like the GOP does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. They already have all of the power in Washington. As well as in the circuit Court system.

The Rs have a majority and can't get shit done. There are investigations all over the place and it took forever to get a cabinet confirmed.

They're half way to getting a president with a majority impeached with no evidence of a crime.
    How much more power do they need?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Absolute power.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Democrats; saviors of the world.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Off with his head! That should ensure the Dems have a shot.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Fairly good list. It has a lot of carrot. Add "Promote free speech and expression" and drop #9 and you're onto something. Maybe enhance #4 to include forgiveness for student loans, that'll bring in some voters for sure. And add guaranteed basic income, increase minimum to $20, those kind of lies should do it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1