How big of a room for a 1000 watt light?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DamnitfeelsGood, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I have a closet that is 48 inches wide, 8 feet long , and 6 foot tall. With proper ventilation would I be able to run a 1000 watt MH/HPS?

How many plants could I fit under that, if its possible. I am thinking 8 ?

2. Yep as long as you can safely col the light you should be golden

Cool tube and a six our right inch fan, id go with the eight for ease and stealth

Good luck

3. Tihspeed!!! :eek: :poke:

Here we go again... :rolleyes: :laughing:

Experienced growers suggest a minimum of 50w per sq ft...
    SCROG, LST, and SOG growers suggest at least 75w per and as high as 100w per..

So with that being said, let's do some math here... :D
    4' x 8' = 32' sq ft..
    1000(w) divided by 32' sq = 31.25(watts per sq ft)...

But:
    2000(w) divided by 32' sq = 62.5(watts per sq ft)...

I run a 4x8 tent with 12 site Ebb&Gro using two 1000w digtal cooltubes, which are cooled by two 6" 300CFM inline duct fans (a suck and blow).. I used to use just one fan, but added another and get much better lamp cooling (thus chambers cooler) now...

:bongin:

4. hahahaha... I agree with you jake... but most, almost every grower, does not know what it will take to cool 1000 watts in a enclosed closet... adding a second air cooled ballast will be no problem once the first is up and running... AC will be needed... lots of air movement... lots of factors...

so... as long as you can effectively cool your closet, you should be golden.. you will not be disappointed with that size of light in that space.. more light is always better as long a your not bleaching the tips of the plants or causing too much heat...

so start growing and once you have one grow under your belt and feel confident... kick it up a notch with another 1000 watts...

5. I would agree with jake as well that 1000w is not going to be enough to use the full 8ft. But that is really cool you have 48 inches of depth to work with, i would assume just the 1000w is not going to be TOO much heat issues. in a 2x3 room you can run 600w with only a 175cfm exhaust. Closets are really nice because you can either A) take down the doors and put up your own film that you can cut into for vents. or B) leave them on and crack them open on one side with a fan going in and out on either side for ventilation.

I think smell will be a big concern with 8 plants at flowering time, and it will need to be thought out how to get rid of it before you get there, because it comes quick. For that amount of plant no gel or stand alone deodorizer is going to be able to completely mask the smell.

The things you purchase for this hobby should be your money well spent. For this much power, unfortunately you gotta step your game up and throw in about 100-200 bucks on your exhaust fan and filter alone. But other than that keep us posted, always love to see what people can come up with!