How big of a pot/bucket is minimum?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LordVoldefart, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hey,

I have 2 plants growing, one is about 6-7 weeks in and the other 1-1.5 weeks behind or so.

One is in a 4 liter or so bucket (filled to 3L) and the other is currently in a 500ml-750ml bucket/bubbler (its tiny).

What are the restrictions with the size of the buckets? The small bucket is maybe 6 inches tall, meaning thats the longest the roots could grow. Would i still be able to grow in something this small to the end?

I planned on giving it a new 4liter container when it needs it, but am curious if i can keep it in there, as its much easier to manage too.

So basically the question is; what are the rules of the bucket / pot size? Will the plant only grow as big as the bucket? Will it grow 200% the size of the bucket? 300% the size? etc. I wan't to know how the depth and width of the bucket effects it. Because i was thinking of getting taller but thinner containers, so it still has the length, just not the width.

Also, as I'm about 6-7 weeks in or so (I actually don't know exactly, just a guess), how long will it take for the plant to begin to flower? They are under 24/0 and are autoflowering. I'm going to wait till they are perfect, but just curious how much more veg time i should expect. They are bubbleicious and dutch passion (if that can give any better idea for their times).

2. Depends on how much room that you have to grow. Bigger pot generally means larger yield because the root ball can get bigger and absorb more nutes.

I used to grow in 5 gallon pots only and my yield weren't very good. I switched to 10-20 gallon pots and have easily more then doubled yield.

3. Well currently I'm running 1 gal and 0.2 gal buckets (so very small), however this was intended to grow in a 80cm tall grow space (that includes the light and bucket, so essentially a micro grow).

I can always upgrade the bucket sizes later but wanted to know what i could get away with.

4. As I understand it, you can essentially get away with any size, the size of the plant is limited to how much room the roots have for growth.