How big do you let your plants get?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thermeskilos, Dec 1, 2010.

1. How big do you let your plants get before you flower them?

2. all depends on room size,power of lights,strain of weed etc

whatever size you go for all the best buddy:)

3. I use a 4'x5'x7' closet and the light will only go up so far, so I grow about 1.5 to 2 feet in veg and switch them over to 12/12...they're about 4 to 5 foot when done.

4. What kind of lighting do you use?

5. I have a 400w HPS in the flower room, cfls in the veg room.

6. I let them get pretty filled out, but that's because I grow from seed not clones. If I was growing from clones I probably would lean towards more smaller plants. My point is that there are a lot of factors that impact how a grower reaches their answer to your question, it's not always just a question of "how big?" but also "why?".

7. Hey Toasty! I agree completely! The WHY is all important! If I had a 12 foot ceiling I would probably let them get bigger, but size restraints are why I do what I do....and I grow from clones most of the time, and that is different than from seeds like Toasty does. If it will help, work backwards...thinking like this....I want say 6 foot plants when I'm done...I know they will keep growing some in height after I switch them over to flower about another 1/2 to 1/3 (dependent on strain), so I should start flowering at around 3 or 4 foot tall veged plants...and even that's not set in stone. There are other variables as some others here mentioned, but that should give you some idea...it's really not that critical as there are techniques to get a "too big" plant smaller, and it doesn't matter too much if it never actually reaches 6 ft, say it only gets to 5.5' and is loaded (would you complain?) but that's for another post...Did that help?

8. Once mine get to about 18" to 20" I start flowering. Not by choice, it's a grow room height issue. :smoke:

9. I usually start flowering when they're about a foot tall. This gives me a plant about 3' tall at harvest.

10. 1/3 to 1/2 the target height.