How big do you let your plant get?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Obiwancanblome, Jun 16, 2020.

1. How big do you all let you plant get before you switch to flower? Isn’t bigger better? How come the height of the grow tents are so short? When you add in the pot height, light drop from the ceiling and the 12” clearance from the bottom of your led lights to the top of the plant many tents only leave 21-25” grow space. I’m looking for a tent but feel I need a lot of grow space height wise. 21” grow height won’t cut it with a 60” tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 hatmat, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    I think gorilla growtents sells height extension, someone does.

You can grow your plant roughly 30 cm tall and set scrog+use lst before to combat this height and more optimal lighting.

I reckon too long veg in scrog isn't always as optimal rather than having say 2 plants in that space with roughly month veg... a lot shoots get's harder to manage.

3. my girls are 18 inches tall right now and my tents 60x60x80. The girls are only 31 days old and im trying to figure out when too flip myself. Hopefully you get some good feed-back on this post because i am just as interested to find out myself since this is my first grow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. First grow here in a 4x4x6 tent. My light needs 12" top clearance and 24" from canopy at flower. Leaves me 36" to stay in safe heat range. I'll admit I was sorta bummed once I realised that 3 feet was my height limit. But it's all working out, gonna get a good yield. 3 feet can turn out to be a lot of plant. I flipped at 24" and ended up at 32" with 1 or 2 peaking up higher. About 4-5" shorter than I intended but each plant is different and you never know. My plants were always short and stocky with fat leaves even though it's supposed to be 70% sativa. Looked more indica than sativa and didn't stretch as much as I expected.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Well from what I understand your plants will be around 36” once they are all finished up. That will prob put them into the light and burn the buds at the end. This doesn’t seem to be making much sense to me even with training your plants and cropping the top. When you add in your pot height and light mount and the space between the light and the plant things aren’t adding up.

Anyone. Anyone??

6. They look great. Some of them top colas look huge. How far into flower are you and how much longer will you flower before harvestesting wet then drying?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Beautiful plants

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. 47 days since 12/12 flip. I'm figuring about 3 more weeks till harvest, depending.

9. Thank you. I had a lot of help from others here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You can quite easily limit the height by topping and LST. I have to have low plants for different reasons, mine are about 50-60cm high. Here is one that needs to be flipped soon and that highest top needs to be bent down a bit more.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Never had a plant taller than 3ft. Even my pounders I keep to less than that. Profile pic was 26inches at the tallest point.
    Tall plants are nothing but a waste of space, time and money.

• Like Like x 1
  12. i've been flowering some pretty short plants. even canopy. led boards. if you're using soil i would go with a shorter fatter air type pot.

Attached Files:

13. I was reading about some strains and one of them they recommended you let it get tall and still lolly. cannot remember the name though

14. Well you only get x amount of penetration depending on what light you have.
    If your light penetrates 2ft of canopy then you'll get 2 feet worth of buds.
    If your plants 3ft tall or 30ft tall you'll still only ever get 2ft of buds so why bother wasting the extra month vegging when you can get more yield in less time by growing them flat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Does anyone have a good link to a vid explaining different training techniques and when to switch from veg to flower? Do you switch to flower during these techniques or after the plant has established that trained growth?

16. My pot is 10” tall (3 gal fabric container), usually switch to flower once pot+plant is a total of 25-30in tall and the canopy fills out the pot.
    By end of flower plants have gotten as tall as 40”.
    I have my lights set at 48” all the way thru the flower period. From lights to hanging point is about 70” [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. how many times did you top? Just once or several times? And have you fertilized any or is it only ff ocean forrest? Thanks!

18. Taller plants really aren’t beneficial indoors beyond the limitations of your light source. That is why most small indoor grows keep plants shorter or prune out the bottoms.

• Agree Agree x 1