Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how bad is smoking weed for you lungs?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by chronic.king, Feb 7, 2009.

1. We all break the rules by smoking weed. Just give it a rest.

2. nice reply!

3. Inhaling burning plant matter can't be good for your lungs but its better than tobacco. Just use in moderation.

4. From my experience I would say that weed is bad for you in two ways. You are inhaling a smoke which is bad for you as it will gunk up your lungs a bit, also it will paralyze the cilia in your throat and lungs for 24 hours (this happens when u smoke anything). Also I would say that it does affect your short term memory for a couple days after. Those two things are the only bad things I can see that are legitimately bad for you, otherwise seems mainly harmless.

5. dont post bullshit.

cannabis smoke is NOT worse than cigarettes. PERIOD.

6. Tobacco contains radioactive particles and that may be what causes lung cancer (in reality, no one knows how tobacco smoke causes lung cancer, they just know that for some reason smokers have lung cancer much more often than non smokers, so with that data and that data only, they say smoking causes cancer).

If it is the radiation that causes the damage, and the other particles are harmless or leave the lungs through coughing, then there is a possibility that weed is 100% harmless. I am skeptical of that though, it must cause some harm to your lungs if smoked IMO.

I have a citation:
    http://www.cannabisculture.com/news/tobacco/

7. hahaahahhah hilarious fucking picture man, hahahaah my man O.D.B!!!! hahahhaahahahahahha lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao you know the history of that guy?! he fukcking got arrested for so much dumb as shit hahahaahahah lmfao. rest in peace man.

anyway, of course marijuana smoke does damage. it has 5 times more tar than cigs per puff i heard but idk about that. i do know it has quite a bit on tar though, just take a laundry dryer sheet or a shirt and put it at the hole you suck through on your bowl. take a hit with the piece of shirt in the way of the hole and suck the smoke through the shirt, then when done hitting, look at the shirt, you can visibly see the brown circle where the hole was.

deff has ALOT of tar, no joke. for example i also has a spoof smell hider and it is a tissue roll and dryer sheets in it. i used that for 3 weeks, everyday prob 2 times a day and i should take a pic and show you guys, so much brown on the sheets.

i love mj with my life but the tar sucks big time. IE, vape or eat if it bothers you that much that you cant smoke. but seriously, i am not worried considering SO many people that are successful smoke now and earlier in there life. i am not worried about a little tar.

8. Weed does not hurt your lungs at all and if anyone tells you different then they are wrong.

9. In Super High Me Doug Benson's physical examination showed no permanent damage from weed after almost 20 years of smoking.

10. The smoke itself has more resin.

11. I think you mean tar, and it is not proven that tar is harmful to the lungs. It is merely a hypothesis.

12. how he didnt name call u r no benefit u keep things goin

13. #33 Qful, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
    There are way too many unbacked claims in this thread. Sir Tokes A Lot, you are definitely wrong.

I would like to say that I believe I know about .000001% of what one should know to be able to completely asses the safety of smoking weed. But it is very easy to disprove that it is harmless. After a couple minutes on my internets, I found this:

Fact: Vinyl Chloride is a carcinogen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_chloride

Fact: Marijuana Smoke contains Vinyl Chloride
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info3.shtml

I'm new here. Someone please help me find some solid information. I'll keep looking, but from what I've seen, it's gonna be hard to find

14. What i was trying to say was

The average pot smoker uses maybe a couple times a week. Most ciggarette smokers smoke about a pack a day, so the increased tar is irrellevant.

15. yea, but a lot of people on here smoke multiple times a day.

16. #36 musho3210, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
    Just to play devils advocate, the amount of vinyl chloride in marijuana smoke is 5.4 nano grams, and out of that, probably only half is absorbed by the bloodstream. Living in an industrialized city probably has more of a harmful effect than Marijuana. At such small amounts I would say the Vinyl Chloride has no effect on the human body unless you smoke like 3 grams a day and the average life expectancy is 200 years old.

Not saying your wrong, but just giving the opposite standpoint.

On the note of tar, i am pretty sure you cough out most of the tar in your lungs over a period of time. The human lung, contrary to news propaganda, does have a way of cleansing itself. Humans have been smoking for possibly as long if not longer than recorded history. If smoke is really that serious to our lungs, the human race would have been wiped out a long time ago. Lungs arent weak. I have no proof but i am almost positive there is a way for our lungs to cleanse itself, and the most obvious answer would be to cough. In case im right i always try to purposely cough after a hit or two.

17. ^^You might be right. But I was just giving an example of one of the dozens of ways smoking marijuana can be bad for you. I'm sure it is bad for you more than in is good for you, medically speaking. Of course, philosophically speaking, I would say it is way more good than it is bad.
    :)

But that doesn't mean I don't want accurate knowledge regarding its negative effects! :mad:

18. I asked myself once, "what if it was as dangerous to your health as a cigarette?"

The answer?

"dials... ... ... Hey, got time for a quarter?"

Elend.

19. I personally think it is rather good and bad for your lungs. Good because its a natural bronchi dialator which is good for asthma. Also it helps clear the throat of mucus. It's bad because you can get lung diseases such as bronchitis. But you can't get COPD, emphysema or cancer. You probably can get cancer(if its radioactive) but in the last 5 decades that we have had experience with smoking and not one case has been linked to cancer, your odds are on the safe sides favor.

Also take the time to think about how much Cigarette smokers use. About more then a pack a day. Follow that by 1 week and that like smoking 140 joints a week. also since your risk of getting addicted is real low, your probably not going to smoke that often and not get to the point where you smoke 140+ joints a week.