How Bad is my Workout?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Badfish90, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I already know my workout is bad, I'm looking for ways to improve it.

I go every other day and do the same routine:

1. Run for 10 minutes just to get a sweat going
    2. Lunges (3x20)
    3. Calf Raises (3x40)
    4. Bench (3x10)
    5. Curls (3x10)
    6. Skull Crushers (3x10)
    7. Military Press (3x10)
    8. Crunches (4x25)

How bad is it to do this? Do I need to add a little variance or break days up to focus on one muscle group? What should I be doing?

2. What makes you think it's bad? I have 2 suggestions:

Don't alternate days unless you start doing heavy lifting. Do 3-4 days in a row, then take a day off.

If you're not already, do one set through the cycle you've posted, then repeat it as many times as you can. Don't set limits on it, just push yourself as hard as you can.

Also, your diet is just as Important as your routine. I don't mean go on a diet, I mean eat healthy.

3. I've heard by a lot of people that it's bad to do a bunch of different muscles during the same day.

I told one person I do legs and arms on the same day and he looked at me like I was an alien.

I'll follow your advice on doing the same cycle multiple times. I never even really thought about that. Sounds like it could get intense.. but in a good way.

Also, one thing that's really hard is that I lift by myself so I don't have a spotter. That makes it hard on me when trying to challenge myself because I'm afraid of exceeding my max weight limit. Any suggestions for that?

4. #4 420Stillblazin, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    Do you have a gym membership? If you do take advantage. my routine is
    day1-chest and triceps
    day 2 back and biceps
    day 3-legs
    day 4-shoulders and forearms

I do cardio every day for 20 min and do abs very often. Never on day when i do back though.

edit- and find a partner bro! someone you know has to go to the gym and im sure they'll give you a spot

edit 2- working out the same muscle groups every day will not give you much progress if your trying to build any mass. The muscles need to recover for at least 1-2 days before you should work them again.

5. This is what I keep hearing. But what if I'm going less for mass and more for tone?

I don't really want to put on any more weight. I'm pretty skinny but have a smaller head and think that I would look weird with a bigger body.

I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs. I don't wanna get above 185.

6. Yeah i was gonna ask you what you were going for. If you just want to tone up i still think you should follow a better routine, just increase your reps and decrease weight.

7. If I follow the routine you mentioned, how many different exercises do you suggest doing for each muscle?

My gym has machines and free weights, so should I do both?

8. Yeah i would do both. And thats a tough question..the weightlifting part of my workout usually lasts like an hour. Go on bodybuilding. com and look up some programs. It really helped me out. And look what other people are doing at the gym. You'll probably learn something.

9. More tone/less mass = more reps, less weight, definitely.

Your current workout is fine but as I mentioned before, don't alternate days and cycle through the sets. Even if you change your mind and decide that yoy do wanna get big, you must always start with toning. All toning really is is solidifying your muscle mass; basically the more arm/leg/whatever body part, the more you use it - weights, flexibility, tests - it doesn't matter. It's basically 'ready to go' for any test thrown its way.

10. Kettle bells and battle ropes mixed with two days a week in the gym and a one mile run every morning. Also nutrition man and multi vitamins and proper hydration good sleep pattern not gonna get you yoked or anything but real good for the body keep ya fit or get you in shape if you choose to try and become a meat head

11. If you are going for toned, rock hard muscles, doing daily workouts isnt bad as if you where trying to build big muscles...

Do more reps, which will probably require a lighter weight.

But really, doing separate muscles every time is something i consider more of a bodybuilder way, not something that's necessary just to get toned...

But variation is good, learn some more exercises man.

12. depends on what your goals are.

edit: oops didnt read enough of the responses. thats not bad but don't expect to get ripped or muscular.

13. do you have chicken legs? one of legs? wow.

14. No i actually dont have chicken legs...did you read that i do cardio every day as well? do you even lift?

15. I have chicken legs but it's because of a childhood disability. I'm working out to try to get rid of it.

16. Too much push, not enough pull in my opinion. Personally, I'd focus more on compound movements.

Toning is basically more muscle mass and less body fat. You can still achieve this by lifting heavy, but adding in more cardio and eating in a caloric deficit.

17. You have NO back exercises. Should be doing deadlifts, rows, pullups, squats. If you want dense muscles I'd lower your rep count to 5.

18. whoever said bench and triceps on the same day, and back and biceps on the same day. Personally I dont think that makes sense. When you bench you use some tricep muscles, but not rly bicep. And when u do back, you use some bicep, not really tricep. Each is entitled to their own opinion but ya know..

OP, your routine is good for staying tone, to gain some mass, maybe lower the reps a tad and add weight like others have said. Also like a mate said in here, what you eat is important. Eat healthy, get your protein.

19. If your doing a split like the one meantioned it makes sense imo. You want to be working to failure. It would be better to do compound exercises and finish your bi's/tri's with isolation after

20. exactly what i do