How bad did my dad get robbed?

Discussion in 'General' started by thekiller, Oct 16, 2010.

1. He just got new tires from his former student and his student installed them. On tire rack the tires are 81 each and shipping is like 40 bucks. He paid the guy over 600 so I understand tire rack is the cheapest and must have hot them local but even at 420 if the guy paid that well 200 profit for the tires and installing them seems like robbery esp since my was the guys "Jackie chan". What should I do? This was last minute but how much do tires differ in price?

2. What kind of tires are they?

Did your dad just get tires, or tires and rims?

3. did he pay for a warranty or insurance?

did you check the tax on tires/car parts in your state?

4. Just the tires and the guy installed them. They were kumho and this in ny

5. So, 4 tires = 480 from tire rack

lets say 4 hours of work(umounting/mounting tires from rim, installing on car) at 20/hr = 80

Total = $560

Ehh, a $40 mark up aint really robbery.

6. Ok, well based on that... I stll don't know. Different sized tires are different prices. Low pro, tred patter, width... these all make price differences. But to be honnest with you, $600 isn't that bad of a price. (but I'm not really sure because I don't have details)

You figure, they are on tire rack for $81 + tax. So Lets say that your dad paid $100 a tire.
    The average price per hour for a mechnic is $65. If you go to a dealer it will be closer to $80-95.

4 tires @ $100 = $400
    2 hours @ $65 = $130 (this includes the mounting and balancing of the tires)
    tire weights/ valve stems = $30

400 +130 + 30 =$560 + .6% sales tax

Total - $593.60

7. I think there's way too many factors to take into consideration to say if he got ripped off or not

8. No from tire rack it'd 81 per tire + 40 bucks for shipping

9. Well, in that case
    No, he didn't get robbed.

/thread