How am I doing? 3 weeks into flowering and I need some tips/advice.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GrimloxK, Apr 28, 2011.

1. #1 GrimloxK, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
    Hey bro's. So at the moment i'm 3 weeks into flowering my Barney's Farm Red Dragon. This being my first grow I'm trying to accumulate experience because I feel like i'm gonna be a lifetime grower...and growing indoors I figure 2 grows a year should suffice for my personal usage.

The problems i've been facing are mixed but hopefully some more seasoned growers can help me out:

- tops of plants are doing pretty good, I had some browning like a singe from probably my lights...due to my height constraints.

- my bottom leafs have been either drying up or yellowing and then drying up and i just picked them off...could this be from nutes or is this natural?

- the bottom leafs have started to look abnormal...like a inverse cupping of leaves, not flat like normal leaves

- I also had my lights fall on my plant...didn't cause too much damage just some singed leaves.

- leaf tips towards the top are brown...is this from heat/light burn?

- also is it okay to have my nutes sitting in water?...I started flowering w/ quarter strength nutes in a gallon of water so I wasn't able to use all the nutes up...would this be bad to give the plant?

Here are some general pics of my plant so far...tonight I hope to get better pics...thanks.

Attached Files:

2. looks great so far.

3. thanks man...

so anyone want to let me know if my nutes sitting in water is the wrong thing to do?

and should I be worried that leaves near the bottom are yellowing and drying up?

4. They are lookin good. Nice so far for your first time...the soda can reflectors are funny and original.
    From what I know, although your specific nutes may be different, you should mix your water and nutes shortly before feeding.
    Also, the leaves dying are likely because of lack of light making it to the bottom. But they are really not that bad. You could also maybe add a little extra nutes, but it really looks pretty good.
    Have you flushed yet? What nutes ya using.

5. Grimloxk,

I may of missed it but even after re-reading your thread I don't see where you posted what type of fertilizer you're using. Without knowing, it's hard to tell if you're creating a problem.

The plants in the pics look healthy to me and I wouldn't worry to much about the bottom leaves yellowing and dying off. It's a natural occurrence......they're the first of the leaves on your plant and the oldest.

When the leaves yellow, the plant is using the sugars and nutrition in the leaf/leaves to supplement itself. The brown tips ( I didn't see many) could indicate burning, but it really doesn't look like it's problematic to me.

Actually, your plant looks pretty happy IMO. Keep up the good work and nice fixture you built for the CFLs.

chunk

6. thanks guys, tonight hopefully I'll get to upload some better pics.

right now i'm using roots organics lineup, all except ancient amber which is basically humic acid and since i'm using bioag VAM + activator I left it out.

I tried using nutes since veg but I know that Barneys Farm Red Dragon is very sensitive to nutes early on so I decided to just use them in flower. Right now I just used 25% strength on the 2nd week of flower then on the 3rd week I used plain purified water. This week I plan on going up to 50% strength...should I just go full strength due to adding nutes so late?

Also chunk I do believe your right that the older set of leaves are dieing out due to lack of light. Because of my growspace the canopy usually blocks most of the light from getting to the bottom...something I hope to correct for the next grow.

I also LST'd multiple times even in flower...I don't know if doing so late in the game is detrimental. the plant right now is about 1' 8".

the tops where the pistils are showing are really small...will they eventually bulk up or is this because i'm using cfl's?

7. Here are the pics of what's going wrong with my first grow:

Attached Files:

8. i'm still in the process of learning myself, but it looks like a zinc def

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/49086-plant-abuse-chart.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/246040-deficency-nute-burn-pics.html

"Zinc deficiencies on some plants will have the Spotting and bleached spots (chlorosis) between the veins first appears on the older leaves first, and then goes on to the immature leaves. It will then start to slowly affect tips of growing points of the plants. When the zinc deficiency happens so suddenly, the spotting can appear to be the same symptoms to that of an iron and manganese, without the seeing the little leaf symptom.
    Zinc is not mobile in plants so the symptoms will occur mainly in the newer growths. Having a plant that is deficiency in Zinc can cause small crops, short shoots and have a cluster of small distorted leaves near the tips. Between the veins (Interveinal) yellowing is often combined with overall paleness. Pale or grayish, yellowing between the veins; rosetted weak is the signs of a Zinc deficiency.
    With a low level of zinc in your plants, your yields will be dramatically reduced.
    Interveinal chlorosis is present in the small, narrow distorted leaves at the ends of really shortened shoots and the shortening between internodes. Leaf margins are often distorted or wrinkled. These nutrients will get locked out due to high pH: Zinc, Iron, and Manganese. These deficiencies will often occur together. Parts affected by a zinc deficiency are young leaves and petioles. "

Attached Files:

9. dude thanks for posting that chart...it really does look like a zinc deficiency...but I did add some azomite to my soil...hopefully when I up my nutes...the neptunes harvest seaweed formula will hopefully take care of the micronutrients.

10. Yes. Nice chart.