How about this light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cmorv, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,

This is my first post on grass city. I'm switching from a different forum because all of my questions went unanswered evert single time i asked them. I'm looking to start a small closet grow sometime in the near future (as soon as i get my own house) and i've read that HPS lights are probably the best way to go. I want to have 2-4 plants going at a time. What does everyone think about this one?

Amazon.com: Sun System® HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thank you!

2. Should work fine for 2-4 plants in a small area

3. #3 Grows&Smokes, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    Its a nice little light for the price but only good for a small area...you want anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 lumens per square foot, so figure out what size area you are going to grow in and buy your light accordingly. They generate a good bit of heat too, so you want to make sure your closet has good ventilation.

4. If I upgraded to the 250 watt or the 400 watt version do you think it would effect the yield? Or is there a chance it would harm the plants?

5. Well, the more wattage the better I always say. How big is your space going to be?

6. I don't exactly know yet. I'm assuming it'll be about 3'-4'.

7. Well, figure out the square footage and use the 3000-5000 lumen rule. You wont be sorry if you upgrade now insread of finding out later that the light isnt enough for your space and you have to buy another one.

8. Thats how I'm thinking, I'd much rather be over prepared than under prepared. Thank you so much for your input!

9. No problem....also remember the ventilation for your area. They generate alot of heat...It is very important to keep your temps down in your area. Anything over 86 degrees will be tough to grow in...you may want to look for an aircooled fixture while your browsing around...will save you alot of headaches.

10. What would you suggest for good ventilation?

11. Check this site out: Ventilation and Fans I buy from them all the time...6" inline fan would work well for you.

12. Can you get fans with carbon filters built in or are they seperate?

13. They have fan/filter combos on that site.....they have everything on that site...be careful or you will get addicted to it...Lol.

14. Thank you, I really appreciate it!