How a Little Dope Can Hurt

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Aug 13, 2004.

1. You say you like to end your nights with a few hits and you've been doing so for months. I've been smoking throughout the day, every single day, for the better part of a decade. This is not a positive thing, and I don't want it to seem like I am passing it off as though it is -- but the bottom line is that you haven't been using the substance long enough (or with enough frequency) to even comment on the subject.

I would say that before you make assumptions you should actually have the experience to back it up.

2. Not at all. I was 100% serious...

3. Wait they prescribed me Ritalin BEFORE I smoked weed! WTF!! WTF!!

4. Nice prof pic, but no, i don't think he was. I don't mind being called addicted to marijuana, because professional sports players are addicted to their job, and I'm addicted to wearing clothes just like most people on the fucking planet. Learn Up.

5. What's sad about this thread, is how little the Marijuana movement has come in 7 years. Back in 2004 I thought more than half of the states would have Med. Mari. rights by now....I was wrong! :(

6. We have 16 states. That's a huge leap forward despite the fact that the MMJ movement as it currently stands is a joke and full of so much outright fraud and profiteering that it can't even be taken seriously anymore. And for the record, the only people to blame for that are greedy dispensary owners, opportunistic quack doctors, and, unfortunately, MOST "patients," who are just as guilty of taking advantage of the system as the doctors.

7. I'm sure you can find people who have smoked much longer than I with no withdrawal symptoms. Using daily for several months would allow a development of addiction for almost any drug, but not necessarily cannabis. I'm sorry you couldn't use cannabis in a responsible way, but your single anecdote has no more of a relevance on the topic than mine does.

8. I'm gonna leave this one alone. All I will say is that if you really believe this, give it a few years of daily smoking, multiple times per day, and then quit cold turkey. If you try to say that you are not muddled, tense, and irritable then you are absolutely full of shit. You can argue the point all you want, but my "single anecdote" is an account that you will hear repeated many times over if you ask a long-term, chronic user (especially an older one who is actually willing to look past the rose colored glasses and admit to the truth) whether marijuana has addictive qualities. Stating that I don't responsibly use pot because I am aware enough to understand the effects of repeatedly introducing receptor-binding chemicals into my body is disingenuous at best. Read up little buddy.

9. I don't understand why so many weed smokers say that almost every other drug can be addictive but cannabis can't. Even the medical marijuana doctors will tell you that using cannabis can cause addiction.

Marijuana Side Effects & Addiction
    (Medical marijuana site where you get a medical marijuana card^^)

"Medical marijuana should be treated with care and respect, like any other prescription drug. Like other drugs, such as painkillers or sleeping aids, anti-spastics and so on, marijuana does have some documented side effects and rates of mental dependency and addiction. You should always consult with your physician when being prescribed marijuana, or any other prescription drug, so that you are fully aware of any adverse reactions, side effects and possibilities of potential dependency."

10. I think most people just don't know the difference between a psychological addiction and a physical addiction

Marijuana is extremely habit forming and psychologically addicting IMO.

Using in moderation is important...the positive medical effects of cannabis are noticeable in very small doses. I have a gastrointestinal illness (UC) and whenever I want to ease the cramping and pain i'll just smoke/vape .1 or .2

Now I would consider myself more of 'medical user' because I generally just vape/smoke once a day before bed as opposed to being stoned all the time. Limiting your intake will drastically improve your overall health (not to mention keep your tolerance low), I say this from experience

/rambling :smoke:

11. I would have to say that World of Warcraft is more addicting than marijuana.

12. World of warcraft is def more addicting than weed

13. So we have a weed Nazi running/funding grasscity?

14. #34 Deleted member 89359, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    im addicted to caffeine, sugar, and Cannabis primarily

EDIT: However, Cannabis is unlike sugar cane and the coffee bean plant. Cannabis is a complete protein source with Omegas 3&6, its firewood/biofuel, clothing---and it is globally cultivable.

and we wonder why there are these "How a Little Dope Can Hurt" threads:rolleyes:

15. The thing about addiction is it affects everyone differently. I'm not saying everyone will become depended on cannabis as some don't like the effects. Some are physically and mentally dependent because of a disease/illness or injury. Some will utilize it for recreational use to wind-down some to focus and relax the mind. So many benefits from cannabis but it differs for everyone. Addiction is dependency and it comes in many levels. Its like people who drink a beer after work or have a cup of coffee in the morning, a cigarette after a meal, a run when your stressed, a tylenol when you have a headache, etc. We need to rename marijuana from the corrupt meaning the government made and it starts with awareness and education. I call it cannabis and teach people facts whenever the issue is brought up and talk about the benefits.

16. Oh, fuck you. You cant get a physical addiction from weed, like crack, only mental.
    I am more "addicted" to chocolate than weed.

"There's a fancy medical definition or a more simple one: If you use marijuana every day you are probably addicted to it"

People eat chocolate everyday, not addictive. I drink lemonade everyday, I don't have to, to survive, but I do. Does that mean I go to back allies, blow some guy so I can drink lemonade? Fuck no!

17. That is exactly my point. You don't have to suck dick or go to some extreme measures to be addicted. Read what I wrote and try not to be hostile thinking addictions are all bad

18. I do believe the point of this being posted was to share how ludicrous and misguidied MMJ "researchers" has been in the past, yes?

There was no concrete scientific backing provided anywhere in the article, just evidence based on observed psychological traits. This holds no weight at all by any professional standards, making it the equivalent of a rambling blog post.

19. I find it hard to believe that I am addicted to Cannabis, though I smoke several times a day. I'm simply putting my Cannabanoid Receptors to use. What else do you propose I use them for?

20. #40 Internalfyre, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
    Amen to that, and that is my explanation to anyone who is against pot. And if I can't change their view, I tell em to accept the fact that its there and it ain't goin anywhere anytime soon.

I smoke ocasionally, not often...but sometimes often. I have noticed a few differences...for one I ocasionally have issues forming sentences...BUT it is not extremely noticeable...and I feel like I can recall having this issue before smoking Cannabis but I do feel like Cannabis brought it out more. I still feel like this little disadvantage does NOT outweight the benefits to Cannabis.

I would much rather have a couple disadvantages than die at the hands of cancer and/or the pharmaceutical industry.

Of course the "addiction" issue has come up and will always come up. I feel like it is NOT an addictive substance, of course we can take the route that it is "Habitutating" which as a matter of fact IS TRUE, undeniably true. Although may I also point out that Cigarettes are "addictive", alcohol is "addictive" and both are far worse than Cannabis. My uncle is an alcoholic, I have tried to suggest him weed as an alternative...but he denys it...and I see him dying in the clutches of his addiction, he also smokes 2 packs a day of cigarettes. I see my aunt suffering the pain of watching her husband kill himself. It is a shame and brings me to a level of sadness that no one should feel nor experience.

I have also seen 3 of my grandparents die at the hands of the pharmaceutical industry (1 from cancer) and my other aunt suffer at the hands of chemotherapy.

I do not have any sympathy for those who consider Cannabis dangerous, I only pity you when the criminals that have been created by the illegality of the cannabis industry come knocking at your door, shoot you in the head, then rape and kill your family members.

Good day.

/rage.