House water heater Co2 question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by bennyweed, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hey everyone

I have a veg literally 6 feet away a natural gas water heater.

Can I just tap into the exhaust duct coming off the heater and route a duct to my veg tent or will I need to put a small inline fan on the duct to dry the Co2 in?

Any help would be awesome.

2. CO2 isn't the only by-product of combustion. Like, it's not pure CO2 in your exhaust. A big concern is Carbon Monoxide. Kill ya in your sleep, man.

I would advise you against pumping exhaust back into your house for sure.

3. What about natural gas stoves, propane heaters, and Co2 generators?

Those are used through out the world and the level of science there holds true. natural gas/propane = co2.

4. That they do and I suggest you look up how many die from gassing themselves.

Redirecting an exhaust from the water heater is dangerous and not legal.

If your grow is outside, no gig deal (including if the tent burns down), but inside, I would not do it.

5. I guess thats true if your naive and have no CO detectors install in your home. If things were leaking CO I would already know about it. Redirecting some steam, heat, and co2 from a duct isnt going to make a none CO producing pilot light suddenly produce CO.

I do appreciate the concern though but this can down be done safely just like anything else. Mine as well use something that can benefit you greatly.

6. Then why are you asking us if you know.

7. I am asking if I need an inline fan to draw the Co2 in. The stuff is more dense then air so I figured it just floats to the lowest point. I am not sure about that part. All the CO stuff I have in check.

8. No offense man I dig the concern but I just like how you said not legal! Haha 85% of this site isn't legal probably. haha plus rep homie. And thanks again for the good looking out.

I'll keep everyone posted once I get all the stuff to make this work. I figure I will try it first with out the inline fan and if it doesnt work I will buy one.

Peace dude.

9. Yeah, a fan would be a good addition. You won't need much - maybe a computer fan at the end of the new duct you install to pull in the exhaust.

Best of luck with this terrible idea.

10. I would use a metal inline duct fan. It needs to be metal, so it won't catch fire when your house burns down.

Find a safer stoner thought.