House Republicans pass bill to force Obama to enforce marijuana laws in legal states

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Green Wizard, Mar 18, 2014.

1. I hate republicans. They say they want a smaller, less intrusive federal government, yet when the people of a state speaks with their vote, and it is not in step with Republican ideals, you know, like drinking scotch and smoking cigars, here comes big brother government.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/113-2014/h124

House GOP passes bill to force Obama to crack down on legal weed in states that allow it
    By Eric W. Dolan
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 15:58 EDT

H.R. 4138: ENFORCE the Law Act of 2014 https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/113-2014/h124

Legislation approved by House Republicans would seek to force President Barack Obama to crack down on marijuana in states that have made the drug legal for medical or recreational use.

The House passed the Enforce the Law Act by a vote of 233-181 on Wednesday. The bill was introduced by Reps. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Darrell Issa (R-CA) and Jim Gerlach (R-PA) to allow Congress to sue the president for failing to faithfully execute laws.

“The Constitution gives Congress the responsibility to write the laws and the Executive to enforce them,” Gowdy said Wednesday in a statement. “We don't pass suggestions. We don't pass ideas. We pass laws. Regardless of our politics, I hope my colleagues have enough regard for our work to expect those laws would be faithfully executed.”

A committee report submitted by Goodlatte cited the Obama administration's decision to not intervene with marijuana legalization efforts in various states as an example of executive overreach.

Colorado and Washington both legalized the recreational use of marijuana through statewide voter referendums in 2012. In addition, 20 states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana. Federal law, however, still considers the possession and sale of marijuana to be a crime.

Attorney General Eric Holder announced last year that the Department of Justice would not challenge states' marijuana legalization laws as long as they maintained an “appropriately strict regulatory system.”

The decision not to enforce federal drug laws “in entire states is not a valid exercise of prosecutorial discretion,” the Republican's report stated.

“Rather, the guidance to U.S. Attorneys establishes a formal, department-wide policy of selective non-enforcement of an Act of Congress. This infringes on Congress's lawmaking authority by, in effect, amending the flat prohibitions of the [Controlled Substances Act] to permit the possession, distribution, and cultivation of marijuana so long as that conduct is in compliance with state law. This crosses the line between permissible discretionary decisions made by prosecutors on a case-by-case basis and an impermissible suspension of the law by executive fiat,” the report added.

The report also cited numerous decisions by the Obama administration regarding immigration and the Affordable Care Act as examples of executive overreach.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said in a statement that the bill would be “dead on arrival” and Obama has threatened to veto it “because it violates the separation of powers.”

2. Crazy. When I first heard of this bill I was all for it. I thought it was all about enforcing immigration though. With the weed stuff in there fuck this bill and fuck the money hungry GOP.

With any luck more states will legalize and NORML will start getting funding like Alcohol and tobacco get. Then the pro pot lobby can make some waves and politicians will want that lobby $$.

3. It will die in the Senate.  Just another House Republican show for the unwashed constituent masses. 

I agree it's a go nowhere bill, but it underscores the House Republican mentality. They blanket vote any bill that goes against Obama without taking thought or consideration for their own consitituents. Have they read the lastest polls on Americans attitude toward legalization? Sugar is more harmful in the minds of most Americans. They are a rudderless party despartely looking for a cause to validate their existence. That also explains the federal government as a whole.

5. lets hope

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I feel like at some point all of this stupidity has to catch up with these people. I mean, we are talking about cannabis! That's what is so frustrating during all of this hoopla.

Hopefully you realize how fucked that entire ideal is.

8. That is one of the best chances weed has against big pharma, alcohol and tobacco. The main reason politicians want to keep weed illegal is because interest groups lobby politicians to no support legalization. So if NORML had the same lobbying power they could lobby politicians to legalize.

What is so wrong with that?

9. It would open the door for the state to fuck up weed regulation just like they do with everything else. Not saying that I done want it legal nor that I disagree that the statement above would be the easiest means right now but as soon as you let the parasites get their hands in it we are still fucked, just in a different way. Kind of like here in Colorado, it's legal and no more trouble for the individual but the state has an iron grip on the market and will strangle anyone who doesn't pay a hefty extortion fee to them while they give nothing back.

10. Classic Republican. 

Republicans and American conservatives are for small government unless it's something they don't like or disagree with. 

11. #11 JohnnyWeedSeed, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    Absolutely! Same hypocrisy but inverse as the other side. The right want small government unless that government is used to oppress the other side while the left is so open minded and tolerant of others and want big government to protect civil rights unless those others disagree with their ideals, then bring in the government! It's really disgusting

12. Legalization as a whole is a way for the State to get its hands in it. No way to avoid that sadly. I agree the State fucks up most everything but legalization with no State involvement\\oversight just isn't in the realm of reality.

Mark my words, in CO in about 5 years or less you will be paying $50 an 8th or less for the primo stuff. That will be with tax. I base this off of my experience with MMJ in CA. Back in 2007 a little after that State made clear guidelines for dispensary a new one was opening on every corner. Yet for the top shelf stuff it was $65-$75 an 8th. Once the novelty of it wore off and competition stepped in now you can get top shelf stuff $50 an 8th max. You can find really good stuff for $35 an 8th if you know where to look.

I just can't wait for the first All American Cannabis Cup. First each County has one, the winners of each county go to the State CC, the winners of that go to the national finals. We can dream can't we? I know it won't be like that but it would be fucking sick if it was.

13. Fuck all that. I stay on the black market here and if I was asked to pay more than 30 an 8th for top shelf I would laugh my ass off and direct that gentleman to my nuts. Even if I did buy from the stores and pay tax 50 is fucking ridiculous around here.