House Garden Vs Vegamatrix In Coco And Growstone Mix

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by djay53, Jun 10, 2014.

1. I want to start a journal about this grow I really like these two nute lines and I'm very curious in the outcome. I'm not going to do it unless there is any interest. I did one before that didn't have much chatter, which makes it pretty boring. A Lil sort meet I've been growing for about 5 years with many different runs under my belt. I've made plenty of mistakes and have learned from them. Lately I've been doing DWC and I'm about to have me best crop yet. I'm going to be doing this run in a mix of botanicare cocogro and growstone aerator. I was going to run growstone's gs-3 mix until o spoke with their reps at the Novi max yield show and they told meet I'd have to water 5-6 times a day. I can't manage that schedule. So I decided to cut the mix down a bit and customize it. I'm going to bet planting in 3 gal geopots lite. Doing a drain to waste (dtw) top water by hand. This will be my first hand water run in about 2 years it should be fun getting a Lil more hands on. I'm going to beer following both companies feed charts to a T. I'm not sure on genetics yet I have a bit of options, suggestions for high yielding in a small cabinet micro grow? Leaning towards the girl scout cookies, but I'm not sure yet. Anyways is there any interest in this grow? The grow will not stay for another couple weeks, I'm just trying to judge interest, active interest. Just let me know, ask me questions, give me advice and past experiences. All is welcome, bring it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Well I certainly got views in the first few hours, any interest though?

3. over 300 views and not a single response? yeah not thinking this is gonna go anywhere. if I'm wrong, please let me know. i'm rather disappointed with these inactive forums.

4. lets see if anyone jumps on board, until I've given up I'll continue to update. yesterday I contacted both of the nutrient companies (Vegamatrix and House & Garden) and they were both extremely helpful, although the person I spoke with at Vegamatrix seemed much more energetic. I was suggested to add dolomite lime (powder) to the media in order to balance out pH, more so as a safety net. Vegamatix's tips and advice was to follow their chart and the results will be there.  lets face it some nute lines will leave something out that youd still get benefit from such as carbs, silica, humic/fulvic acids, vitamins, enzymes and others. I asked both companies about adding these products in addition to their lines and this is what they said. Vegamatrix suggested I stop Ful-Power, superthrive, and other supplement type products except silica. They said that their product contains some silica i should cut back to about half strength. I'll be using Bulletproof from Cutting Edge Solutions. It is derived from silicon dioxide rather than the normal potassium silicate.  This silica is able to be applied by foliar feeding, I think I'm going to be feeding it the silica when I spray with hard and quick (a vegematrix product) twice a week. Aside from the silica Vegamatrix said to just follow the feed chart and my results will be amazing. They also said that pH adjusting of their product is unnessacary, check it to make sure though.  House & Garden told me I should add a small amount of Cal-Mag (anyone of the larger companies) to the water before adding the base nutes. I'll be using General Hydroponics CaliMagic simply because that is what I have around. they told me 1-2mL/gal would be plenty. They told me their line is complete and no need for silica and the rest. Silica is in the Amino Treatment, roots excelurator contains humic and fulvic acids. I'm really excited to put these line to the test. The winner of this test will go up against my mix in the next run. I'll talk about my normal mix in coming updates. until then it is material gathering time as well as obtaining genetics, any suggestions on genetics?

5. I already have my 3 gallon geopot lites. I got a couple samples of the gnat nix that I'm going to add to the top of the media to prevent gnats. Let's face it, they happen and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of well, you get it. I have the sample kits of vegamatrix and house & garden. This week my cocogro and growstone aerator will be in. All I've got to get is the genetics.

6. Does anyone have suggestions for preparing my media? I've been told the loose cocogro doesn't need rinsed but plan on doing so anyways, figure it's better to be safe than sorry. The growstones also need rinsed to get rid of any dust. I've heard a lot of conflicting info regarding the use of dolomite lime. Should I? My plans at this moment are to rinse the growstones, mix them into the coco at about 1/4-1/3. After i mix those in going to be putting them in the pot on top of a drainage layer of growstones hydrostone. After the mix is in the geopots I'll be rinsing the coco with straight phed RO water. After the mix drys a bit I'll be "charging" it with GH calimagic. My question is, should I amend with dolomite lime? Any suggestions? Could I just rinse the coco with the calimagic?

7. Finally, everything had fallen into place. I'm mixing my media tonight. I'm going to mix the full bag (1.75 cubic feet) of cocogro with a Lil over half of the bag (1 cubic foot) of the growstone super aerator. I'm also going to be adding 2 of the small packages of mykos. In my 3 gallon geo pots in going to be adding a drainage layer of hydroton I've had laying around and topping it with gnat nix.

The genetics I got is Ghost OG. They have some spider mites but they are the only plants in my garden so fighting them shouldn't be to hard, I hope so anyways. I sprayed them once with safer's end all. I'm going to be spraying them every few days with a pesticide. Does seven work well on spider mites? Finally the ball is rolling, pictures will be posted later this weekend. Happy Forth everyone!

8. Are you talkin growstones as in recycled glass silica?

Worst medium ive ever used!

Prone to green algae though i havent had issue at all since i switched from drip+dwc to straight dwc.

Still cant recommend the stuff.

9. For spider mites i simply overdosed my room with 4 no pest strips and they were gone in days.

But i did a lot of research before i used it due to my lung disease.

The tudies that claim its toxic are performed on the liquid version, not the gas.

I recommended it to friends and family who also eradicated spider mites in days using it. No spray required.

10. The name of the product is "no pest strips"? Where did you pick them up, grow shop, or a big box store? I've never heard of them.

11. Well I think I got rid of the mites but almost killed the plants in the process. There is new green coming in so all is good there. When I got the plants I sprayed them a couple times with safer's end all, the next day I sprayed them with sevin, and the third day right after lights out I sprayed them with safer's 3 in 1. The next day the leaves looked like absolute crap. All but one of the original leaves has gone away. The plant that I'm using house and garden on definitely looks better and healthier than the one I'm using vegamatrix, way to early to make a call, just an early observation. The new growth started happening when I sprayed h&g's magic green on both of them, the next day I had new growth at all of the sites that you'd expect to see new growth. Any questions, advice, anything please feel free. It'd be nice to get some action going here.

Attached Files:

12. Things are progressing. Right now I'm thinking my carelessness cost me at kat a couple weeks in veg. It could have been worse, I'd rather add a couple weeks in veg than deal with freaking mites through out the grow. When I was looking at them I was considering tying both of them to the edge of the pot so they are horizontally across the media to the media. Just to give me that much more growth, I've learned through the years that the success of a crop has a lot to do with training. If I added a few weeks to veg I'm going to make the most of it.

Attached Files:

13. HOLY SHIT! What the fuck is that?

Man, I wish you were local Id give you better looking clones than that.

Plant some seeds.

Talking about nutes is boring, I dont care what the nutes are results is whats cool.

14. These pics were after I nuked them and brought them back when I got them they were tall and lanky, and aside from the mites, very healthy looking. The root systems matched that of the plant lanky, not much horizontal growth but they were fairly long.

Yea they can be nursed back into health fine but will take time. You can have a few friends for them to grow with if you start some seeds.

16. I have no room as it is. The cabinet I grow in is 4' tall with a 2'x3' foot print. My last few grows have been dwc, 1 plant at 18" tall filed it up very nicely. I think in pushing my luck with 2.