house broken into. money stolen. file police report?

Discussion in 'General' started by NFloyd2357, Dec 16, 2009.

1. we rent a house. roommate's money got stolen... can't say all the money was clean. Nothing else was stolen. They came in through the garage and kicked a deadbolted door in...

we need to file a police report now, especially since we lease the house. Can my roommate go about trying to get his money back somehow?

2. There's really nothing the police can do. They will tell you that they will "investigate" but it's pretty much a lost cause man. It was definately an inside job though, I can just tell from the story. They didn't steal anything but the money? Try to figure out who it was and settle the law yourself. Sorry to hear about that...

3. Soundz like you got hit by the grinch! Tis the season right?

4. ^Haha. Yeah find out who it was

How close are you with your roomate?

5. yeah it was def a mutual "friend" no doubt...

let street justice be done.

6. yea, it was definitely a friend who knew where my roomies money was. but we need to file a police report because of the damage done to our rented house - we don't wanna be liable.

so we're cleaning out the house, calling the cops, and then taking matters into our own hands

7. if your taking matters into your own hands you dont wanna call the cops! :wave:

8. I understand why you need the cops man. After the police submit the report to the rental company they'll replace your door and deadbolt for free(insurance...aka why you need a police report) and maybe come re-key some of the other doors if necessary.

9. Consider the cash gone unless you can find who took it and get some restitution.

10. how much got jacked bro?

11. #11 NFloyd2357, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    yep, thats why we called the cops. THey already came, along with k-9s (who were barking intensely in our driveway because all paraphenelia was moved to our cars). They asked us if we sell or blaze and we handled everything well - they didn't even care. We just dont wanna get fucked on the door. The detective did all kinds of CSI shit, it was pretty awesome, and for the first time, the cops/detectives were really cool. We were talking and joking around with them.

yea - my house is about to go to a suspects house who wont answer his phone right now. We're heading over in a pickup with about 8 kids in the bed. The moneys probably gone but who knows. im like having a panic attack now just from the whole detective/cop/k9 deal/snapping pictures and dusting door handles and shit

About $500 just from my roommate - the person clearly just went for his drawer. No computers taken, thousands of dollars of recording equipment and music gear .... nothing taken but my roomies money... we're trying to dig up suspects now. We wont press charges, we'll just kick the shit outta some heads... but we had to file the report because of the door, and because breaking and entering is a felony

12. Call the cops for the police report, Youll only get insurance though if you have homeowners or renters insurance. But if your still dependent to you parents then you can use their homeowners insurance