Hot (not boiling) water to rinse out RooR?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Darksied, May 2, 2016.

1. Is the following method of cleaning my Roor ash catcher one that will not weaken my bong over time? This guy was fairly expensive (I buy roor for nostalgia's sake) - so i want it to last until I drop it.

I have a roor ashcatcher with a tree perk (here is a picture of one just like it >>> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3f/fb/b7/3ffbb710bf4998c65fea2ca8d4cf04b6.jpg <<<) .

-I rinse it out every day when I get off work (I'm pretty OCD about a clean piece) in the afternoon to start my session. I use water from my sink, pretty dang hot but no so much that I can't hold onto the glass with a little water running over my fingers - it's not a comfortable hot for sure.

-I put the room temp piece under the hot water and just let it fill up and run all the resin out (it actually cleans it 100% every time - I never need to clean it) - I do not shake the catcher because i'm scared of dropping the slippery thing into the sink.

-After all the resin runs out I let the piece cool of at room temp for a sec, then I run it, slowly, under about three decreasing levels of warm water until the piece is close to room temp. At this point I usually just go ahead and fill it up with cold water.

I know boiling water can break glass and that cold-hot transitions can do it aswell...is my method safe enough? I will switch to iso and salt if necessary - but that is so time consuming to do everyday. I have searched for an available answer to this on the site but no one's process seem quite as cautionary to temperature as mine.

Thankyou everyone for your time,

• Like Like x 2
  2. I've cleaned my pieces in all sorts of ways. The one you speak of, Boiling hot water from the tap, Yeah I do that on the daily. I've even filled a mixing bowl with water, stuck a pipe in it and nuked it for a minute, all the resin bubbled out leaving the pipe clean and the bowl nasty. lol. I tend not to worry about things.

I prefer acetone for deep cleaning.

3. #4 TheDankBank, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Just wait for the glass to cool off.

Say you litterally just took the peice out from under running hot water because its clean. Set it down for about 3 mins. Go load up a bowl in the meantime, when u come back it should be at room temp. Put in cold water, an go enjoy.

I dont think it would weaken the glass over time.

• Like Like x 1