Hot box!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dodgerfan1589, Jul 18, 2011.

1. #1 dodgerfan1589, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
    my growbox its about 5x5x2.5. gets real hot. From what the thermometer shows,which is between the light and plants, up to 95f when lights are on, ambient temp in the house is 80F. have a 6" inline duct fan 440cfm exhausting the box have enough negative pressure to hold the door shut, with 3 intake holes. 1 at the top at the same level as the light, which is a 600w digital ballast w/ reflector wing, and the exhaust fan. And 2 holes at the bottom level of plants. Also a 6" personal fan blowing air at the plants. And the inside is painted with white reflective roof coating. What else do I need to cool the box? Short of adding an a/c.

2. Might not have a choice on the ac part. I am no expert but 95 on the plants is way to hot. Might have to run a ac in line to your fan to help cool your plants down. Or might need more then 1 fan or a bigger fan or 2 bigger fans to drop the temp down 80-85.

3. I'm trying to figure out how to duct in my house a/c but proving to be a little difficult

4. seal the intake at the top and increase the size of your lowest intake. warm air rises and extracting hot air does nothing if warm air is getting pulled back in. Your only a few degrees away from ideal and a couple tweeks might get you in range. Try and avoid an ac unit at all cost. There quiet a hassle IMHO and can get quite exspensive. Good Luck!

5. Thanks for the advise I'm gonna try it and I'll let you know how it works

6. Is the light cooltubed? That could reduce temps alot

7. No, just a reflective hood

8. #8 dodgerfan1589, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    The current intake holes at the bottom are 1". How much should I increase the size?

9. Happy update, was able to get temps down to 83 high and 80 low

10. May also try turning the inside fan off. With temps that high, running the inside fan blows the hot air all over the box, my temps dropped a bit just from that, once your stems are strong enough to support the plant, you won't really need a fan blowing on the plant. My 2 cents.

11. glad to see your temps came down. I just keep increasing my intake until i reach the desired temp range. looking foward to pics

12. #12 dodgerfan1589, Jul 25, 2011
    I tried this it came down a couple more degrees. So no more heat worries!

13. Dodger what changes have you made so far?
    Which ones made the difference of -12 degrees you first reported?

Thanks

14. what kind of light try led they run a little cooler

15. #15 dodgerfan1589, Jul 26, 2011
    Closed the intake at the top increased the intake hole at the bottom, from 2 1" holes to 3 2" holes. And changed the placement of the box so now the exhaust air is being blown out of the room it's in