Hortilux Super Blue ???

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Master_Kush, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Well Im on my last cycle before I replace my 1000 watt SHPS Hortilux Bulb. My new setup has diffrent rooms. Anyways Im talking bloom room here. I have been shopping for a new bulb before mine wears down. I see Hortilux has many diffrent bulbs. Im wondering what is best for the bloom room ? I see they have a regular SHPS which is cheaper, they have an Enhanced Spectrum model which is a lil more & they have the Super Blue series. Is that Super Blue supposed to be way better for all around ? Would I be better off buying the Enhanced Spectrum cause it is just being used for flower ? Is the extra 75 bucks give or take worth stepping up to the Super Blue ? Has anyone used the Super Blue just for flowering & noticed a diffrence ? Thanks for the help guys.

2. Doesn't anyone have any info on Hortilux bulbs. Is super blue or enhanced spectrum better for just flowering ?

3. the super blue series is complete shit. i went to buy one at my hydro shop and the guy said absolutely not. apparently they have a super high burnout rate and they dont last very long at all. hes a pretty good friend of mine and he says theyre complete shit... never tried one obviously. but i use an enhanced spectrum super hps from them. think i got mine for like 90 bucks maybe but i cant remember. anyways so far it works great. i use a 400 watt with a nextgen ballast and holy shit i get so much light out of that bulb. and with the enhanced blue spectrum in the bulb im definately noticing differences. i used the bulb this go for veg and bloom and it kepy my plants short with short internodes and so far my plants are blooming very quick. i highly recommend the hortilux bulbs.

4. Ya I run 1000 watts & use nothing but Hortilux. So you could Imagine the shine. LOL Complete OVERKILL. Thanks for the review on the Super Blue. Your probably using what I'am. The 90 dollar Hortilux regular SHPS. The enhanced spectrum is like avg $180 which is what Im going with thanks to your friends input & nobodyelse can tell me squat or hasn't yet. Thanks Dude.

5. you must have something mixed up bro the super hps is the enhanced spectrum hps bulb. in other words there arent two versions of the super hps only one. iver never seen a hortilux bulb for 180 but i would be very skepticle. thats over kill. even hortilux's website doesnt recognize two different models of the SHPS. EYE Hortilux Super HPS. if im wrong please correct me cause id like to get a better bulb if its out there but im pretty sure bout this.

6. #6 Master_Kush, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
    EYE Hortilux Lamps I see there are 2 for flowering but my bulb just says Hortilux SHPS, nothing about enhanced spectrum. The Eye I guess is put in a category of it's own ? I just wanna make sure I get the good light. I will have my supplier order it for me if he don't have it in. I can just go ask him but Im lazy. He gives me good prices. Got a new in box hydrofarm 1000 watt ballast for 180 bucks, so I would not pay that for the bulb lol. Im just trying to make sure Im not confused.

7. I've been running 6 of them 18/6 for the last 90 days with no problems.

8. Its cool i called my hydro guy for ya lol. theres only 1 super hps from hortilux. just buy the regular one and thats what you want. My guy said it definately shouldnt be more than $95. thats what he charges and he says thats what his supplier makes him charge. ive even seen them cheaper on ebay so shop around before you buy. if you find one online and you wanna make sure youre getting the right thing, post the link to the item and ill get back to you.

9. thanx dude. I figured that, I just thought they some had kind of enhanced spectrum in addition. Ya, I would never pay that for a bulb. Go to google shopping & type in hortilux. There are some people really ripping others off. The highest hortilux i seen was like 230 for a 1000 watt super blue. F-that but some are advertising enhanced spectrum like it's new & charging like it is. Them douchebags had me goin for a min. Thanks for callin. Just got back from erecting my new tent. I ended up getting a 6x6. it will make a nice veg room. i will post some pics when i tidy up.

10. a 6x6 for vegging? how big is your flower room lol? i wish i had space like that but instead am in tiny cramped apartment lol... good luck with your grow bro and definately get some pics up when you can.

11. Well the veg tent is actually 77" X 77" so bout 6.5ft X6.5ft. My grow room which is a room inside my garage is about 800 sf give or take a little. My grow room is the size of a moderate 2 bedroom apt, my garage is 2,200sf plus. They use to build airplane jet engine materials in the room. I flower next to a wall & the a/c unit w/ black/white poly making a reflection wall. I put my veg tent infront of the budding area so it's kinda blocked off reducing the amount of space needed to cool. I don't have to worry about smell as the neighbors are pretty far away & it is inside a room inside the garage. Im working in there right now & probably should finish up tonight or tomorrow latest. I prefer to flower in my open space so I don't have to fool around w/ co2, I can grow taller, & it is easier to tie em up when they start leaning or if. If you look at my posts look for me proving some guy wrong about the use of a mirror in a grow room. There is a pic of my plants 5 days into veg. http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/471049-l-e-d-1st-grow-4.html#post5814284 I have 3 pics to prove him wrong. Here is my vegg tent I just put up. Mylar Hydroponics Grow Tent 77x77x77. Grow Budd Box. - eBay (item 190330613662 end time Oct-23-09 08:11:39 PDT) When ya got the space, you will use it reguardless of how many plants. I highly recommend this tent. It is cheap & the quality is great. Shipping was super fast.

12. wow man i wish i had space like that. im an urban grower in the city so space is always an issue. im looking into gettina big 4x4 or 5x5 box. the problem is i would have to designate a whole bedroom to it and that point you cant really hide it if anything goes wrong. i dont know though still weighin the pros and cons. anways definately put those pics up when youre done. i wanna check out this massive op lol.

13. lol it's not massive I just use my space. look at that link from grasscity forum & u will see I think 9. My pics are in there but 2 of the 3 pics are a blower. Im in a city too just my layout is beneficial. SoCal Baby!

14. I bought two of the 200 dollar super blue spectrum hortilux. One burned out within 1 month and the other is still going with my flowering cycle because one of my hps hotilux eye lights burned out as well. We'll see how this thing does in flowering too...

15. #15 puntacometa, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009

The 1000W Hortilux MH blue bulbs can be purchased here for $150.00
    http://goldcoasthydro.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/bulbs.html

How's the integrity of your power grid and wiring? You might want to consider a voltage regulator. Repeated sags and spikes can hose bulbs.

http://www.sevenstar.com/110v-220v-voltage-regulators1.htm

16. Got off my lazy ass & went to my buddy's shop. He told me the problem w/ the hortilux super blue bulbs is that they tend to blow when people use a digital ballast. He said they are a hell of a light & very stable on a magnetic ballast. He told me to hold off cause Hortilux has more in the making w/ the introduction of digital bulbs. However he said were still running an analog cable. We will see how that works out. I took advice & kept things simple. I bought a 4ft 8 tube T5 fixture to add & mixed the bulbs. Now my veg room has the all 4 ft t5 tubes.
    1 8 tube 4ft panel
    1 4 tube 4ft panel
    1 2 tube 4ft panel
    All in a 6.5 x 6.5 tent for moms veg.

This should be equal to a 600 watt give or take. I only paid $225 for the 8 bulb panel. Brand New

17. #17 tbirdgreen, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  18. Well my friend highly recommends the Super Blue Bulb from Hortilux as long as your running a magnetic ballast. What you need depends on your enviroment you grow in. 1st off I wouldn't skimp on a $30 bulb. There is a big diffrence, go with quality no matter what you get. Don't be penny wise & dollar foolish. If your growing in a tent dont get a 1000 watt as they are a heat problem & the hoods are so big it eats a foot off the top of your tent. Tell us a little more & I will gladly give an opinion. I have a 1000 watt but a it's in an open room w/ poly walls DIY. If you wanna play with the spectrum I would get yourself a Hortilux 600 watt super blue. One cycle of a cheap bulb & you need to replace it. I change mine every 4 to 5 cycles using Hortilux. I bought one of those $100 Oshima MH conversion bulbs before & it blew after 1 cycle. You get what you pay for. Don't skimp on your lighting. Good luck friend.

19. I've got 8 x of the Hortilux Blue's going on magnetic ballasts in my veg room. With the average temperature at around 78 degrees and plenty of fresh air turnover, I'm getting extremely good results. Very fast growth. I've got little chains hanging off my reflectors that are 30" long and flags at 21". When the canopy gets within 21" I raise it a bit. With a couple of strains I've got here, the canopy will grow from the tip of the chain to the flag in just a few days.

Attached Files:

• WCD.JPG
      WCD.JPG
      File size:
      212.8 KB
      Views:
  20. MK I'm sure I totally missed this in your rig but are you using a digital ballast by chance?