horrible ballast! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by hountzz, Nov 13, 2009.

1. So I am growing indoor hydro. My clones are doing beautiful under two 3 foot t-5 flourescent bulbs.

I have a 400w hps and ballast. my stupid ballast keeps burning out! I am already on my second ballast. My plants are going to be screwed if I cant get them under my hps soon!.

anyway my question is:

are there certian ballasts that would be better than other? and why does my shit keep burning out? is it an overload on the circuit or something? please anyone.

im at my wits end about what to do with my plants while my ballast keeps screwin with me.

2. try puting a fan next to it my ballast died in one day dude to not enough ventilation in my old grow room fucking bulb exploded

3. Yup, keep it cool and if it has burned out twice with the same bulb, you might have a bad bulb also.

4. What ballast is this?

The ballast must match the wattage and bulb type.

Is that bulb firing for a time or not at all?

HPS ballasts will have a starter just for the HPS HID's,where the MH ballast wont use it.

I would suggest returning that second ballast and getting a refund.

What i look for in a ballast is efficiency and longevity,one with a great warranty.

You can find an "E" Lumatek 400 watt. for $125 if you search some.

5. I have my lumatek 400 tucked in a corner and it is still cool to the touch. Great ballast.