Horizontal growing?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by sidious, Jan 23, 2004.

1. great minds.....

2. Thug, you know how you were saying about the possible stress on the stalk, what if it had say maybe 3 anchor points on the side of the drum, and some string round the stalk, not too tight, enough room to let the stalk expand..........and as it rotates, it goes from one support to the next, as they have a little bit of slack, that way it's allways being supported by the string from above..........well i'm too stoned to keep thinking now so i'll shut up.....lol........gotta go BBQ and get drunk soon.........lol.......Peace out.........Sid

i'd love to see this method tried, but i just don't have the time/funds at the moment.........

3. Ya can weight ya branches from a very early stage ,There should be no stress.

l start with weights on branhes and increase as needed.

l,ve never seen a problem doing it my way [what l was taught]

4. i think ive got enough stuff lying around in the workshop to make one of these.... might need like $20... so i just wont get gas... maybe siphon some out of the next lexus or H2 i see drivin around.... but ill manage afew $ in supplies.... i think this might prove excelent for grafted plants.... like each part of the plant grows fastest when all the energy is going into that one particular shoot... might get faster sucess rates... and growth...

5. yeah i thought about this and dismissed it becuse of the posabilty of chaffing and open wounds on the plant, thats when i had the even worse idea of the chicken wire, well maybe its not as bad if the weight and stress was surported equal but thats unlikely with a living growing plant.

now im thinking the string idea might be a go'er if elastic bands were used, just looped round the stem and back through themselves then tied off to the surports with a bit of string. the elastic would hold the plant steady, expand with growth and tightend with string as needed.

have a good time at the barbie.

6. do you have a short double tube fluro fixture lying around?

i was thinking about lighting and if the plant had its entire lengh lit from the top or from the top and bottom or even surounded by fluros it could be very well lit with only a few watts. with a single stem plant like critical mass thats a good yealder i see no reason why you wouldnt get a plant thats a 3' single cola with a lot of weight. or any length i surpose.

if the box was built tight it could be an amazing stealth grow.

7. ironicly, i have a 2 bulb 2' ficture on a shelf covered in dust right now.. .i was thinking a double batwing 2 bulb HPS setup would be better, but i guess like 6 or so 2' flouro tubes would be great, to get long even light over the entire length.... and can suppliment with cfl's... :D

8. As far as i've found this seems to be the easiest and most cost efficient method. I've heard also that when grown horizontally marijuana looks nearly identical to another plant and lowers the chance of someone spotting and indentifying your crop as pot.

9. i remeber something, along this idea in a old issue of '' maximum yield'' magazine [ dealing with normal vegetable plants] ,, they had tomatoes,growing upside down,,,, along the same principle i balieve you'll are speaking of here....

thier experiment concluded a 3 times larger yield....

your on the right path, because man is starting to do some crazy experimenting with different growing techniques,,,,
    and who better than sid. to come up with the revelutionarry, idea of high producing pot plants......

i bet you had smoked some of that '' mind-opening '' sativa to come up with such a idea....... inside you lurks a true ''botanist'' waiting to be released!!!!!;)

10. Of course its possible, but you would probably be best suited to use a rockwool or similar type of growing medium.

11. wouldnt it be easier just to lst her like this,
    [​IMG]

12. aghhh the good old days, I still wanna try this sometime...........Peace out..........Sid

13. doesnt the plant tend to grow toward the light though? i dont think it would stay at a 90* angle

14. its been done before by a few people, one on dr chronics forums, and it turned out amazing, he was flowering right before the forum site shut down. perhaps it will be back up, its definately something you want to seee.

15. This is 100% possible, im just not positive as to what benefit you would gain.

For example the omega garden rotates the plants AROUND the lighting fixture, so you are only fighting geotropism. They have the motor set up so that the plants rotate slowly, so the geotropic effect is minimized, while the plants still grow toward the light in the center "above" the plant.

In the horizontal setup proposed, you would either need to have the plant rotate not only about its axis but about the light, OR

Do some trial and error to figure out what speed fights both geotropism and phototropism.

Also the roots will want to grow down, so if you dont spin those also, they would twist

i think soil moderatly packed in a drum to prevent spilling will be fine, i don't think that the roots would be that badly damaged

lastly, i think the plant will have no problem supporting its own weight, as it will definitely adapt, just like fans on a plant increase a stem strength

it would be so cool if you did this!

I think the only measureable benefit would be a very dense plant, most likely more dense than you can achieve with traditional grow methods, and if you stopped the motor during flower, it would be like some kind of crazy LST!

16. #37 doindia, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008

there is no bennefit its just an option for people who dont have a lot of headspace, my friend did it in a 4 ft tall crawl space.

and no nothing needs to rotate, you take your bucket, as the plant grows, bend it into the horizontal screen, which is a little higher than the bucket, but not too far, as it grows, keep bending it through the screen, when it gets to the end. you flower it, the flowers are on top where the light is, ive seen it done with four plants, grew about 8 ft tall (long i should say) and the screen was so thick you couldnt see a crack of light if you looked from the bottom up to the top. if dr chronics site wasnt down i could easily link it

17. #38 mike827, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008
    oh...

18. just put lights around the plant... no need to grow it sideways or to rotate anything...

• Like Like x 1
  19. just a little bump bump:poke::gc_rocks:

maybe a little something like this kinda pricey but could be easily replicated ..Its a hydro system

[​IMG]

The Shark Cage has a lot of advantages that make it a unique system. Imagine having your own organic garden 365 days/year!!! Very light: less than 50 pounds!!! The Shark Cage has no walls, allowing better control of the wool’s temperature and easy control of the rate of humidity which allows and maximizes growth. The dualflector is a reflector and a deflector at the same time. Opens entirely for easy access to your plants.

Notes

•All bolts are made of stainless steel
    •Easy mounting
    •Will never rust
    •No tools required
    •Easy to clean
    •New!