hoppin on the organics train...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by fif3l, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Thats why im so interested in it... its all over the spectrum! I dont even know if my grow shop would have these bulbs.

2. It's hit and miss with the grow stores around here. I usually just order them online because the price is almost the same as ordering them through the grow store and wait for them to call when their order arrives.

It's worth the hassle to buy them online if necessary, IMHO

LD

3. 1st serious downside to digital ballasts that I have heard. :(

4. [quote name='"WeeDroid"']

1st serious downside to digital ballasts that I have heard. :([/quote]

Right?

Asked about it at the shop... theyd never even heard of it.. dropped some knowledge (thanks ld ) on em. Luckily,they DO have cheap analog ballasts, and the hood i want, so that might be a reality in the near future. They give everything to me @ wholesale which is pretty cool !
    Learning a ton just from THIS thread. :)
    Thanks!

5. Speaking of analog systems, see what the local grow store staff thinks about one of these:

[​IMG]

6. #67 WeeDroid, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
    The HSE. A nice unit but I don't like my ballasts attached to my fixtures. It's designed for supplemental greenhouse lighting, not indoor lighting.

The small footprint is vey sexy though. It's digital LD, not analog.

E2a:

Not the HSE but the nxt.

7. WeeDroid

Whether or not it's for greenhouses only is probably something we'll have to agree to disagree.

Running a CMH bulb in any professional digital ballast is not a problem. Given the 35 year history between P.L. Light Systems, Philips Electronics & Hortilux Schreder, the new digital models were properly designed from the beginning.

LD
    24 year user of P.L. Light Systems

8. #69 WeeDroid, Dec 6, 2011
    Never said that. ;) Just that it was designed for greenhouses.

Since I can't upload images, here is a link to see these units in action.

http://www.hortilux.nl/?id=179&L=1&news=27

9. Fair enough. You did and I misread.

My apologies! :hello:

LOL

10. Easily accepted good sir. :)

11. What is a pls light

12. #73 WeeDroid, Dec 6, 2011
    By professional I assume you mean what the indoor horticulture industry uses? Then not companies like lumatek and such, yeah?

If I may ask then? Could you name what ballasts are used professionally, other than PL Light systems?

I think you mean the PL Light systems. They are a brand of professional horticulture lighting units, distinctive in that the ballast and hood assemblies are one unit. Google them. ;)

13. #74 LumperDawgz2, Dec 6, 2011
    Actually I am not talking about the units sold through National Garden Wholesale, Hydro-Farms, Sun Light Mfg., etc. What they're doing or not is completely different from the light systems used not only for greenhouse lighting but indoor research facilities running both soils and hydroponic gardens.

With few exceptions around the world, these lights completely dominate the commercial market and have for 36 years and for good reason. The systems are well designed, durable and they simply don't break down.

For home gardeners you can purchase 250, 400, 600 & 1000w systems which have remote ballasts and you have about 15 different reflectors to choose from. All made from 98% pure aluminum, anodized, etc.

A one time purchase. Replace the $20.00 capacitor about every 10 years or so and motor on.

LD

[​IMG]

14. I am still looking for a ballast, the PL may be an option. I can only find the big greenhouse styles.

LD Can we please get a link on were to purchase so I can compare prices and what not.

BeZ...V

15. Bez, they're called P.L. Light System - Remote Fixtures. Seems to be hard to find on the web and I could only find them in 400W with a very quick search. Getting ready for work here so ...

http://www.orchidweb.com/detail.aspx?ID=396

16. Thanks Wee, its my goal for the day... Select a ballast. Decessions decessions. Lol. I'm lookin for 1000w tho I like to grow my plants tall/natural just let them do there thing. The 1000w I've noticed gives me bigger bottom buds.

BeZ...V

17. Sorry im late to this discussion about lights but here is what I use for veg. Simple and effective. HTG Supply - 2 Foot 2 Lamp PL-55 Tek Lamp Also light on the wallet at a price you cant beat!
    It emitts 10,000 lumens which is 2,000 more than a bigger 2 ft 4 lamp model. :O) It was made so the lights are actually 4 ft fixtures that have been bent in half. I also have a 400W MH with a switchable ballast and I also use about 156 watts of supplemental CFL's for both veg and flower. Dont make it into something as complicated as you are making it out to be FiF.

18. BeZ

Here's a nursery supply house in St. Louis, MO (middle of the country for shipping costs), Hummert International, which carries both the 'remote ballast' models and the commercial models. The remote ballast models are more appropriate for indoor gardens.

As you can see the pricing isn't stupid.

HTH

LD

19. That PL-55 Tek lamp is exactly what I use for vegging also. I have 2 and love em.

@Downgirl

For better bulbs at the same price, check out Light Bulbs | Atlanta Light Bulbs Inc., Atlanta Georgia Ballast - Lamps and Light Bulb Sales
    Same price as HTG ($7.50) and much higher quality. EIKO brand

For flower, I run a 400w HPS and a 400w MH, both magnetic and a CMH in the MH. Will upgrade the HPS to CMH as funds permit.

Did the MH first, as a proper spectrum MH bulb would be more than the CMH.

Yes, they do make CMH for MH ballast now.

Welcome To Advanced Technology Solutions ~ Lighting Divison

Wet