hooked up HPS light upto a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.. is that okay?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jaded1983, Jan 28, 2009.

1. hooked up HPS light upto a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.. is that okay? its a 400w HPS going to a timer. But the timer only had 2 prongs and the HPS light had 3.

Is this safe?

[​IMG]

2. it will work, just be careful, its an extra plug that is easy to knock loose

ive never used one of those NOT directly plugged into the outlet, but i have used many appliances hooked up to one, so they can handle the wattage.

If you ever find a better timer, upgrade to a 3-prong timer and eliminate the adapter

3. hi,
    the third prong is the GROUND wire...that IS THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the wiring! without that you may end up a human fuse!..not many growers bother to ground their setups but if you don't your asking for trouble...

it wont do you any good to have the three prong adapter or timer WITHOUT A GROUND WIRE! it is called your Equipment Grounding Conductor..(EGC)..

ground any NON current carrying metal!

Electricity has no respect for ignorance!

without it you could be electrocuted very easily.

Be careful...

AKgrown

4. right, but it can be bypassed

my experience with them is older houses...most arent equipped with ANY grounded outlets, and if you want a microwave, you gotta use an adapter.

Granted, usually you would ground the adapter with a screw, but you cant do that on a timer..

5. Get a heavy duty timer.. those are 3 prong. But to answer.. yes an adapter works fine, just keep checking that it's pushed on tight.

6. you better be careful using that shitty plug converter/shitty timmer...
    if you over amp that shitty 5 dollar timer it will catch on fire n prob burn ur whole house down.... and i dont think home owners insurence wouuld cover your grow rrom settin ur house on fire....:hello:

brah goto home depot or walmart and buy a grounded timer... is it worth riskin settin your house on fire over a 10$ timer?

7. hi,
    your right, older homes have a 2 wire system. You should use a GFCI in this case...NEVER BYPASS A GROUND WIRE! That wire is there to protect you. If your rig shorts out and your not grounded...the non current carrying parts may be energized...touch it with a wet hand or when you are grounded and you will get shocked.

Just food for thought.

And about that timer...make sure it is rated for the load...most 1000W lights run at about 9 amps for 120 VAC...try to get a timer that is about 15 or 20A...

now go grow some smoke!

AKgrown

8. #8 shafro, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    I'm doing the same thing and have had no problems but if you're really worried you can ground it by attaching a wire from that clip on top to a ground point.