Honey... as a nute?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Arcturon, May 25, 2012.

1. love honey. I eat it almost everyday and buy a lot at a time. Has anyone used honey as a nutrient? How effective would it be, if it had an effect at all? \t\t\t\t\t\tIt's pure. Would honey inhibit stem rot?

My point is there may be some beneficial unforeseen properties.
    "The average pH of honey is 3.9, but can range from 3.4 to 6.1. Honey contains many kinds of acids, both organic and amino. However, the different types and their amounts vary considerably, depending on the type of honey. These acids may be aromatic or aliphatic (non-aromatic). The aliphatic acids contribute greatly to the flavor of honey by interacting with the flavors of other ingredients. Gluconic acid, for instance, is a flavor enhancer. The aromatic acids, such as malic acid, come mostly from the flowers, adding to the aroma and taste of the honey.

Honey can contain up to 18 of the 20 amino acids. However, amino acid content is almost negligible in honey, accounting for only 0.05–0.1% of the composition. The main acid is proline.
    Organic acids comprise most of the acids in honey, accounting for 0.17–1.17% of the mixture. Gluconic acid is the most prevalent. Gluconic acid is formed by the actions of an enzyme called glucose oxidase. Other organic acids are minor, consisting of formic, acetic, butyric, citric, lactic, malic, pyroglutamic, propionic, valeric, capronic, palmitic, and succinic, among many othersAs an antimicrobial agent honey may have the potential for treating a variety of ailments. Antibacterial properties of honey are the result of the low water activity causing osmosis, chelation of free Iron, its slow release of hydrogen peroxide,[67] high acidity,[68] and the antibacterial activity of methylglyoxal.[69]" "
    ' my source is wikipedia. \t\t\t\t\t\t

2. Honey is not a nutrient.

However it can be used for two other purposes in the garden:

1) As a sugar source for bacteria in compost tea. Most stray from this because of the h202 reaction. I have used it this way. Dilute the Honey in very warm(almost boiling) water(tsp per cup) and mix thoroughly. This should be allowed to sit for a couple hours before adding it to the tea. This is the method I used, its nothing etched in stone.

2) As an Organic Clone Gel. One of our more prominent members that is currently MIA brought this to the community's attention a while back. I cant recall his exact proportions but I used a tsp of honey with a little pinch of kelpmeal on a rose cutting.
    Hybrid teas are not easy to clone, thats why they graft them. But the consistency of the final product looked promising for more reasonable applications.

VOO

3. ^^^^Forgot to mention that^^^^ Choose your source wisely.

4. Buy local. Buy unfiltered. Buy uncooked. Buy organic.

5. Then make mead.

6. LOL - that's the ticket! Mead.........

7. Perhaps a good use of honey would be to mix it with Humanure, dried and boxed.

"Sweet Smell of Success" could be a good name perhaps. Or "Premium Poop 4 Plants"

See the marketing guys for more ideas......

8. Personally I use Agave Nectar for cloning, I mix it with a dash of kelp meal that I grind into a flour, I mix it with Pro-Tekt like LD suggested, and I am 0-10 on Pineapple clones.

Local honey though has got to be my next try haha yum.

9. Didnt old Ted the uni bomber shit on his plants up in the woods?
    LMAO