Homemade Wooden Pipe Thread

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by SilentVandal, Jun 4, 2012.

1. #1 SilentVandal, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
    Here's a pipe I made out of an apple tree my dad cut down. :smoke:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sanded it up to 600 grit and gave it a few coats of linseed.
    what do you guys think?

I'm dry at the moment but im going to break it in sometime this week Ill let you guy's know how it smokes.. :cool:

Feel free to post pictures of your creations..

2. #2 Gryphonics, Jun 4, 2012
    Sorry to say, but Apple is a very bad choice, that's like making a pine pipe.. It's going to scorch and burn out fast.. You need really hard wood.

It's really cool but I wouldn't toke out of it and ruin it, I'd just put it on a shelf for show, especially since you used Linseed oil, it emits a foul smell when heated and taste like shit (I'm sure that's good for you) Did you do any research at all on the two?

You should of used Paragon Wax and your pipe actually would of been worth your time even though it's apple.

Nice looking little show-piece though, and don't think of it as a loss, think of it as a learning experience, don't be afraid to make more but with the proper stuff, you got some woodsman potential.

3. #3 SilentVandal, Jun 4, 2012
    Actually your wrong read this :(:
    Pipes in Other Woods - Pipedia

People have being using apple to make pipes for years and apple is a hardwood.
    In fact most fruit tree wood is very suitable for making pipes.
    And for the linseed oil its only on the outside so its fine!
    :smoke: Thanks for your concerns..
    I might try some wax on it seem's like a good idea.

4. Apple is not heat resistant at all, it will scorch and char compared to a bunch of other shit.

5. im sure, when the resin builds up it wouldnt matter anyway.

6. Anyone got a guide on making my own wood pipe? I live in North Louisiana and we have some awesome woods I could use, like cypress and plenty of magnolia and I think I have a yew tree somewhere on my land. It'd be nice to make some pipes out of those.

7. Wow OP that looks really nice and i would love to have something like that. The grain is amazing and everything about that seems nice. It just makes me want to head out in the woods tripping my balls of and smoking bowls from that majestic beast you call a pipe.

8. That looks slick! Nice job. How do you burrow the hole through it?

9. Name it Woody.

10. Sweet piece bro, looks like it was made by a real pro.