Homemade low pressure Aeroponics/DWC hybrid

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by c0rn, May 30, 2019.

1. No leaks at all.. i meant when i open the lid as in the video.. it shoots water everywhere..
    My 2.5 gal has ri be a bit too small.. when the lids closed and its running, water comes down the walls like a “dinner fountain drink machine”

But no leaks when the lids shut at all..

Just brought something to my attention..should i add nutes to my water?? If so how much is the recomendation of solution for about 1 1/2 gals of water

Flower tent Vegging outside the flower tent

• Like Like x 1
  2. I use 5mL clonex per liter of water and pH to 5.6.

I killed my 2 clones I had going because they were boys. I did let them go for too long, but noticed that the roots were getting into the pumps. I'm bringing this up because you will need to be careful. If its just a cloner, np.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Its been suggested that only using 'rapidstart' or similar, but I should have mentioned that I use Clonex Gel on the cuttings, and I still skin their ends.
    upload_2019-6-2_15-58-51.png
    That's a picture of how big I let them get (used more Clonex later on though, like 10mL/L).
    I think you can get away with 5mL / gallon if its just cuttings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the heads up.. i think i remember reading that a general rule of thumb is to transplant the cutting into soil after new roots reach about 1/2” (really no longer for a healthy transplant)..

My last cutting i replanted when roots were about 1 - 1 1/2” but thats cuz i didnt know at the time..

Flower tent Vegging outside the flower tent

• Like Like x 1
  5. yea, you'll be fine, can get the roots longer than that, just not lol 3 feet long like I had them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. So I was wondering, you hardly ever see a aeroponics system with the pump outside the res (not submersed). Would this not help loads with the heat?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Putting the pump and nutes inside the root chamber is the easiest option ;) Some sub pumps can be used inline but its more work and the nutes will still be subjected to some heat. I personally would use a small ro booster pump controlled by a cycle timer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I never liked easy hehe. So this means that I will have to try the pump outside of the res :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Try to keep the connecting tubing as short as possible ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm thinking a strong pump will sort that :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. All this talk of you building stuff got my creative juices going. 3 hours in the shed, et voila, another ugly looking cloner is born..
    high pressure aero cloner.JPG
    All tested and ready to run.

Timer was set for 3 seconds on and 5 seconds off for the vid. 2 seconds on and 5 minutes off is enough.. .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Now that is cool :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. @geoaero, what kind of mister is that?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Its a tefen mist nozzle white 1gph running about 105psi.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I run mine outside the rez and its cooler by several 'F.

16. So that will be the way to go :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The aeroponics is warmer than the drip/flow, which has a smaller pump (120GPH vs 500?GPH).
    Also, the drip system runs 5on/10off, whereas the aero is always on.
    I've considered putting in on the 5on/10off; bs to do experiments with ONE sample lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Its better to run with on/off cycles. If you turn off the system and time how long it takes for the first sign of wilting to show up you could be waiting a while ;) You can safely run upto half of the measured off time.
    The cloner pump (24v 1A) has 5 mins to lose the heat of running for 2 seconds. The cloner runs to waste (drips into the cup underneath), no heat comes back to warm up the res (the white bottle). Cold nutes kept in an insulated res (igloo cooler) can stay cool for days but only useful for methods that can run to waste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Great job bro!
    Just checked my aero plant.. woah, that thing getting much bigger than the other plant!

• Like Like x 1