Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Homemade Glow Rod?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by xeontoker, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Hey guys & girls,

Was just pondering whether any household items could be used as a homemade glow rod to have the same effect of heating up your weed without using the dreaded lighter?

For instance what about using a screwdriver or knife?

Was just a thought, thanks in advance;)

2. I'd probably avoid it, you never know how a piece of metal that wasn't made to be exposed to high heat repeatedly will react. Plus heating it up to the right temperature every hit would become a bit tedious after a while.

If you're looking for an alternative to your lighter, have a look into getting some hemp wick. It's like a thin rope made of hemp that you light, and it burns slightly cooler than than a butane flame. Some people swear it enhances the flavor, personally i've never noticed much of a difference but judging by your dislike of lighters, i'm guessing you're interested in the intricate flavors of what you're smoking so it might be right up your alley.

3. Yeah true.

Thanks for suggesting hemp wick, I completely forgot about that - will probably buy some small quantity and see how that goes, hopefully it will make the hit a little cleaner and like you mentioned might get a little better taste from the bud.

Wonder if using match sticks would be healthier and smoother than using a butane lighter?

4. probably depends what your smoking, but I don't like them cause it can smell bad and mask the weed in taste too

5. You're welcome.:smoke:

As for matches, you might get a slightly cleaner hit, but you can probably achieve the same result by using a bit more finesse while using a regular old Bic. You really just want the flame to 'kiss' the weed. I've seen some people who just dig the whole flame in and that's just asking for a harsh hit.

I've got hands like an orangutang, but by practicing i've got it to the point where it hardly looks like the flame touches the bud at all, and the hits are super clean.

6. Yer agreed, the benefit from matches probably wouldn't be that noticeable, plus they would begin to become a fuckin chore after a few hits.:smoke:

That's a good point actually, to be honest I have never concentrated on using a tactic when burning my bud with my lighter.
    Now that you've mentioned it I may, like you said, use the technic of gently applying the flame back and forth - rather than just leaving the flame constantly there to burn the bud.

7. Yah i heard they can be a bit smelly...

8. You can get hempwick samples for free on many sites so you can test it without buying it.

9. I've thought about whether or not a glas stirring rod from my chemistry would work as a heat wand

10. Yeah it probably would work, just need to give it a good clean before use. It might take a little longer to heat up though, depending glass quality.

11. Matches won't benefit you sice you may inhale the smoke that comes off the match which is worse than butane, my suggestion light a candle get some hemp wick and take the lighter out of the situation

12. Yeh true. Well for the moment it looks like I will use a lighter until I order some hemp wick.

13. Most metal you'd find around the house you wouldn't want to heat up.. either from the shiny linings and anti rust shit to cheap chinese chemicals who knows.. and most of the metal is extremely cheap and wasn't intended for heat so it gives off fumes.